Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Question RE: Botswana Jul/Aug (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/question-re-botswana-jul-aug-640888/)

sundowner Aug 21st, 2006 05:20 PM

Question RE: Botswana Jul/Aug

Some of you may remember my mobile camping safari to Botswana in Oct05. I had such a great time on that trip (except the heat) that I have signed up to do a similar one in 2007 (when it's cooler).

I had just assumed that the gameviewing would be good. Now that I've read Kaye's report, I'm wondering if it will be. Does anyone know what the game will be like where I'm going at this time of year? I know in October it was awesome. Here is the itinerary

25 July 2007: Motsentsela Tree Lodge
26 July 2007: Moremi Game Reserve (Xakanaxa area)
27 July 2007: Moremi Game Reserve (Xakanaxa area)
28 July 2007: Moremi Game Reserve (Khwai area)
29 July 2007: Moremi Game Reserve (Khwai area)
30 July 2007: Khwai Community area
31 July 2007: Khwai Community area
01 August 2007: Savuti
02 August 2007: Savuti
03 August 2007: Chobe National Park
04 August 2007: Chobe National Park
05 August 2007: Chobe National Park
06 August 2007: Motsentsela Tree Lodge
07 August 2007: Departure

What do you think? Will the game be good?

Thanks
Cindy

bots Aug 21st, 2006 08:41 PM

The Game will be great that time of year.
Just make sure you are staying in Hatab sites for your mobile safari.It is very busy that time of year and the public campsites are a little packed.
Why travel back from Chobe to Maun when you can fly from Livingstone?you will save a bit on the flights and will be able to spend a day in Livingstone or Vic falls instead of driving all the way back to Maun.

napamatt Aug 22nd, 2006 06:37 AM

Game will be great, October is very dry and very hot. According to Grant Atkinson, my guide on my last trip, the Khwai river area is spectacular for raptors, so even if you're not into birds now, you maybe after watching the aerobatics of huge numbers of eagles flying right over you.

napamatt Aug 22nd, 2006 06:38 AM

Where did October come from? July would normally be very good, Bots just happened to have a very wet season, which meant back country pans stayed full longer and the grass grew taller. Those circumstances are what keep us coming back, your experience is always different.

afrigalah Aug 22nd, 2006 02:26 PM

The others are right...this year has been quite unusual. The place I prefer for predator viewing, Selinda, has had cheetah quite scarce this season because their favoured hunting areas are still wet, under water in some cases...and this as late as mid-August, which is quite remarkable.

John

atravelynn Aug 22nd, 2006 02:53 PM

You'll have great game viewing in July and August.

jasher Aug 22nd, 2006 03:16 PM

Hello,

I normally travel in June or July, and I agree with what others have said -- this year is very unusual. By accident rather than design my trip this year was exactly a year on from my 2005 trip, so I had an unusual opportunity for a direct comparison. You should have excellent game-viewing in July and August.

Are you going with GameTrails again? They do have private loos now!

Cheers,
Julian

sundowner Aug 22nd, 2006 06:42 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone! I hope next year is back to normal.

Julian, they have chosen someone else this year. The photographer putting this group together met someone on the plane (from Maun to Joburg) last year that is from Botswana. They visited during the flight about the trip we had just finished and they have kept in contact. Anyway, that guy has recommended someone else. I'll cross my fingers that they will be as good as Gametrails was. Since this is another photo safari, Chas has been in contact with the safari company putting this trip together so that it will be better than last year and he said this - "Vehicle has been modified for photography as per my specs". So it should be easier to brace the cameras.