Question Re: 10/05 safari to Kenya/ Tanzania

Jun 20th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Question Re: 10/05 safari to Kenya/ Tanzania

I am getting so excited and nervous about upcoming trip!!! Questions.. my tour company uses Pollman safaris in Kenya and Ranger safaris in Tanzania. Any info on either? Tour consists for all driving and worried about all I have read regarding the road conditions and length of travel time from one area to another. Also, what might the weather conditions be? Good season to go???
Jun 20th, 2005, 07:00 PM

dorish34,

You have good reason to be excited--you are going on a great journey!

As for Ranger, I think they're a big, reputable operator. Pollman I don't know, but other than Nairobi I've never been to Kenya. Both companies are more than likely registered with either TATO (Tanzania Association of Tour Operatores, web site is www.tatotz.org/) or KATO (Kenyan...ditto, www.katokenya.org).

Again, I can't speak to the roads in Kenya, but I didn't think the roads in Tanzania were as bad as I'd thought they'd be. The road from Ngorongoro to/through the Serengeti was pretty bumpy, though. Not dangerous-seeming or anything, just dusty and bumpy.

Have a great time. I'm jealous, especially of the chimp trip on Ngamba. Please report back about your adventures!

Jun 21st, 2005, 12:19 PM

I've used both Pollman's in Kenya and Ranger in Tanzania on more than one occasion and they were great, especially Ranger, in my experience.

Both companies are established and reputable.

The roads can be a bit bumpy but driving is how the majority of safaris are done so you'll be fine. You can always nap in the vehicle.

October is a nice time for everything but the very southern part of the Serengeti, where you probably won't be going. I think Lake Manyara is not at its best at this time either.

It should be quite warm with a little rain.

If you post your itinerary then more specific comments can be made.

Just be excited, not nervous.

Jun 21st, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Regarding Ngamba Island.. I was told by the booking agent that usually only 1 small overnite bag can be brought to the island and that my other luggage can be kept at a local hotel for a fee. Any comments on this??

Search this Thread