Question for JazzDrew

Feb 19th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Question for JazzDrew

I read that you are doing a safari with Roys in Tanzania. If you don't mind telling me who did your air reservations since Roys doesn't do them? I am in NYC and planning a trip next January. Any help with air fares would be appreciated.

Thanks
Feb 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM

billmarie,

Actually Roy's provided airfare for us. I am not sure of the specifics, but when I contacted Sanjay (Roy's president) I asked for a quote including air. He provided flights from Iowa to Amsterdam on KLM. Amsterdam to Nairobi are on Air Kenya (partner with KLM). We have specific flights including times and have been told that we will recieve specific seat assignments closer to departure.

As we were planning our safari we recieved quotes from a variety of operators, some that included international air and others that did not. When I contacted Roy's I asked if they could arrange air. They indicated that they could, and their price was better than anything I could find on the internet - granted flying out of Iowa usually is an expensive premium. I believe our international air was in the $1,750 per person range.

I wonder why we were able to get international air from Roy's and you were not? I assume that Sanjay has contacts but I am not aware of the specifics.

Here are some links that I used to research international air:

http://www.johnnyjet.com/

http://www.consolidatorwebfares.com/afspecials.htm

http://www.bargaintravel.com/africa.html

Departures from NYC should be considerably less expensive and easier to book than from Iowa!

Good luck.

Feb 19th, 2005, 11:28 AM
sandi

billmarie -

At this point it will be difficult to find fares so far out - you can't even enter February '06 return dates. However, NW/KLM has the most direct flights with only a stop in AMS in both direction. The connection outbound is only 2-3 hrs, whereas, the return to JFK can be as long as 7-8 hrs. You might consider returning into EWR (Newark) that has a much shorter connection/layover time.

I've been looking for fares for travel within the next few months, and prices thru KLM direct are better than any of the consolidator, discount or wholesale sites. Right now going into JRO and returning from NBO fares are $1238-$1250/pp

Don't be surprised when entering the KLM site if you find some flights not available especially if flying on weekends (either direction) - major tour operators have blocks of seats on hold and therefore the results come up "no seats are available." Frustrating but this can be overcome by contacting KLM directly by phone.

But right now, you're too far out, so wait a few months.

Search this Thread