Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Question for folks u have recently visited chobe (savuti safari lodge etc)?

Question for folks u have recently visited chobe (savuti safari lodge etc)?

May 30th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Question for folks u have recently visited chobe (savuti safari lodge etc)?

i've read several great reports recently from savuti safari lodge etc. located within the chobe park boundaries. my question is what time did u guys go out for your drives? the sun sets at this time of yr before 6 pm so giving that you are not allowed to drive in the national parks after dark how did you do the evening drives. i am planning a trip for june 2005 but my biggest question is do i avoid camps within national parks borders bc the sunlight is least at that time of yr. maybe the drives just finish later in the morning and start very early afternoon so that makes up for it but i'm interested how your experiences were in the non-park camps vs in-park camps.
May 30th, 2004, 01:18 PM

The afternoon drives started around 3-3:30pm and we were back around 6:30pm. (It did get dark quite quickly once the sun went down, so it was nearly dark by then anyway.) While we did get to stay out later at the other two parks we visited, Savute also has those wonderful water holes, which you overlook as you dine (or from your chalet if you are in #2 or #3 as well.) One night after dinner we saw a beautiful eagle owl, as well as the usual impala, kudu and elephants. That national park covers a lot of territory, and we surely did see a lot of game while there.

Search this Thread