Some Egypt trip pictures

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Egypt trip pictures

I want to say thank you to those people here who gave me helpful advice before my Egypt trip in September 2004.

I have finally got round to posting some photographs from the trip, they are at the following link if anyone wants to take a look:
http://community.webshots.com/album/198974216bLmzRv

The photographs are just ones I have of the fairly typical Egypt sights. It was a standard tour covering Cairo, Luxor, a Nile trip, Aswan and Abu Simbel arranged through a tour company called Experience Egypt. I booked the flights separately myself.

My top 3 sites (in no particular order):
- the Great Pyramid and Sphinx at Giza
- Karnak Temple (near Luxor)
- Abu Simbel (done as a day-trip by plane from Aswan)
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Boy, that was fun! - Thanks for sharing! - It didn't look like you had very many crowds. Maybe because it was Sept?
Thank you again, I cant wait!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for sharing - you got some great pictures!

I see you took a Nile trip so you get the stupid question of the day. Last night I asked my kids (8 & 10) when we should plan on going to Egypt. I told them most people go see the pyramids and then take a cruise on the Nile River. The youngest (male) asked if we could rent waverunners, or at least an innertube. Of course I laughed and told him no, I don't think you can go down the Nile on a waverunner. But then I thought - what do I know? I've never been. So tell me, can you?
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 01:46 PM
sandi

Dave - Great photos. Loved the sunset on the Nile with felucca photo. Guess it was still pretty hot in September - the reason crowds aren't in evidence - though I'm sure they were about even if September is still sunner. It doesn't start cooling down before mid to end-October, but it's always very hot in Upper Egypt. Thanks for sharing these.

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

I expect September is possibly one of the quitest times in Egypt. There were some big crowds in some of the places but the crowds tended to come and go (presumably larger tours all moving around together).

At the Pyrmaids, the main side of the Great Pryamid was always very busy. For a quieter pyramid experience, walk round the other sides and the other two main pyramids. I did this and there was hardly anyone. You are allowed to climb a few stones to the entrance of the Great Pyramid so most people hang around there for some time.

The hottest of the summer weather was definitely over by the time I went but that's not to say it wasn't hot. In fact, it didn't feel any hotter that when I was in Florida at the same time last year. Most of the sightseeing was done early morning too which helps beat the crowds. In particular doing the west bank sites at Luxor as early as possible helped as it sure got very hot there, even by 9 or 10am.

Personally, I am glad to have to have put up with a bit more heat to have gone at a quieter time of year. When places were busy, it did lose a bit of the experience.

Sundowner - there were no waverunners on any stretch of the Nile that I saw so your son may well be out of luck.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:11 AM

What wonderful pictures Dave! Thanks for sharing and glad you had such a great trip.
Lori Glenn
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 04:21 AM
rfb

Sundowner,

Even though you will see native kids in the river at places; it is definitely not recommended. There is a parasite in places that penetrates your skin easily and causes serious damage. It's called bilharzia (sp?); and something to be avoided.

There's nothing wrong with boat rides etc. you just don't want to get wet in the wrong part of the Nile.

As far as weather and crowds, I've been in March, April, October and November and never really found crowds to be a problem, but I go on my own and avoid times when the tour groups hit whenever possible.

Nice pictures, Dave.

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks, rfb, that's good to know. I didn't plan on being in the river but I had to ask. >-