Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Public Campgrounds - Tanzania? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/public-campgrounds-tanzania-552366/)

dpdny Aug 17th, 2005 07:47 AM

Public Campgrounds - Tanzania?

I am looking for feedback on public campgrounds in the Northern safari circuit.

My wife and I are doing a mainly lodge and tented camp safari, and would like to do a night of camping. We are looking at the Simba camp along the crater, or a public campsite in the s.east of Serengeti. We have heard that the Simba site can be jam packed, which is something we are seeking to avoid.

We are planning a mid-March trip. Thanks!

Daniel

climbhighsleeplow Aug 17th, 2005 07:58 AM

Hi Daniel

I camped all over this past June. It is hard to predict how full Simba will be but mid-march is not that busy. It is a cold camp and you will probably get wet there.

I have pictures of Simba and other camps if you're interested.

dpdny Aug 17th, 2005 08:04 AM

Climbhighsleeplow,

Pictures would be wonderful, as would any of your experiences with the campsites around Ndutu.

Many thanks! Greatly appreciated.

climbhighsleeplow Aug 17th, 2005 08:52 AM

OK, I will upload the pics to kodakgallery tonight.

We were there in June so Ndutu was not an option for us. In the past I have seen the camp sites around Ndutu and I cannot remember seeing toilets or showers! But I could be wrong on this one.

Simba had toilets and showers with hot water. The camp guards made a big fire and we sat around watching a huge elephant trying to destroy the big tree in the middle of camp!

climbhighsleeplow Aug 17th, 2005 06:13 PM

Daniel

Here's the link to the pics of the Simba public and special camp sites!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...m2m89&Ux=1

I have to look for the Ndutu pics...we were there in Feb 2004.

dpdny Aug 17th, 2005 06:31 PM

Thank you!!!! It sounds like you picked a great night to be there and full of drama.

If you find the Serengeti pics, that would great and very kind of you.

Leely Aug 17th, 2005 06:37 PM

dpdny,
I have NOT stayed there, but FWIW last year while we were on safari a coworker was also. She camped at the Crater at Simba and was miserable. Too cold.

Now in the interest of full disclosure, this woman came home and hadn't enjoyed anything about the trip--all we heard from her were complaints. As we had also just returned from the best trip of our lives (which included some budget camping), I think this may say more about her than the camping!

But, brrr, it's cold up on that Crater rim.

Matt_from_England Jan 21st, 2006 01:39 PM

Hi dpdny,

Hope you see this post before you go, if you are indeed still off to TZ in March. I stayed in Simba Public Campsite in January 2005 and perhaps there were 6 different tours? I counted about 30 tents or so but the campsite is massive. I camped right next to the strangler fig which climbhighsleeplow mentions. The only thing letting down this camp is you don't have a view to the crater (Though it is on the rim) for the tree level in front. But man the wildlife: as we came down the little track to arrive there were a heard of elephants. 1 came up to the water tower to drink from it whilst others waited close by accompanied by hyenas. You may well see huge piles of dung in the grass - from the Cape Buffalo which were right outside, and I mean right outside our tent - about a metre from the door when I looked out. And later the noise from the hyenas was so loud my wife complained that people were having a party!

Don't leave bags outside tent, or keep food in the tent either. Hyenas will eat sweaty shoes too, so keep them inside! I actually loved simba campsite!

Matt

dpdny Jan 21st, 2006 02:54 PM

Matt,

Thank you for the message. I tried to sell my wife on the benefits of camping a night or two -- alas no go (especially with the rains(. We're staying at the Serena instead, but at least we have a crater hike scheduled.

Thanks again and pleased to hear that you had a great stay.

Daniel