Pros vs cons of staying in Giza or Cairo

Old Jun 13th, 2024, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros vs cons of staying in Giza or Cairo

We are planning a trip to Egypt and see there are some fab hotels in Giza, well reviewed and very reasonable but am wondering about staying in Cairo as there is so much to do there as well and traveling to Giza for tours.

We do like to go to local places for evening dinner and I would think Cairo would have more to offer.

Your thoughts?

Old Jun 16th, 2024, 01:43 PM

Hi, jacketwatch,
I know I’ve shared my thoughts elsewhere with you, but I was curious if you had an itinerary. It might help to figure out what you want to see first which may determine your decision. Are you planning on going elsewhere - Luxor is really one of my favorite places - so much to see there. And we really enjoyed the dahabiya down the Nile. It was sooo cool to say that were floating on the Nile!

If you want to see the pyramids right away and go south to Saqqara (a fantastic site), Giza might be easier. And who knows? Maybe the new museum, GEM, will FINALLY Ave officially open when you go (though somehow, I doubt it). I think you know I stayed in an apartment in Giza at the beginning of our trip and we did go to some small nearby restaurants though it’s not an area that is easy to walk around. You really do need to take cabs to get to places though we never did!

At the end of our trip, we stayed on Zamalek, the large island that’s part of Cairo. It’s much calmer than downtown Cairo and it’s very easy to walk around the streets here. We did eat in several restaurants which we were able to walk to. This is probably the best area to stay in if you choose to stay in Cairo.

I didn’t stay downtown so don’t know what it’s like to stay there, it’s very spread out. We had a driver sho took us from place to place so did not explore on our own. Certainly, we enjoyed the chaos of Islamic Cairo, visiting the large bazaar, the Coptic quarter (we loved it) and of course, the Egyptian Museum and the new NMEC (fabulous - National Museum of Egyptian Civilization- this is where all the mummies are located!). But,,again, the city is very spread out and you’d really want a driver or take a taxi to get from place to place.

Old Jun 16th, 2024, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.
I Hadnít thought about Luxor. Iíll look into that.
A Nile cruise is on our list.
Also thinking of somehow including Petra as well.
We have friends who want to go but we are concerned about regional problems now.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 02:15 AM

I’m curious - if you’re okay traveling to Egypt during this period, why not Jordan? The US State dept actually has a higher alert level for Egypt than Jordan (though it’s over a year old) and there is a worldwide alert to be cautious while traveling.

We traveled to Jordan and then to Egypt - Petra is wonderful as is Wadi Rum, if you can coordinate it. The overland route between the countries is very long. You’re better off flying to Amman and then having a driver for Petra, which is easily done. Then (suggestion here) are a stop at a Dead Sea resort for 2 nights and drive to the airport from there. We stayed at the Movenpick and loved it!
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progol
Iím curious - if youíre okay traveling to Egypt during this period, why not Jordan? The US State dept actually has a higher alert level for Egypt than Jordan (though itís over a year old) and there is a worldwide alert to be cautious while traveling.

We traveled to Jordan and then to Egypt - Petra is wonderful as is Wadi Rum, if you can coordinate it. The overland route between the countries is very long. Youíre better off flying to Amman and then having a driver for Petra, which is easily done. Then (suggestion here) are a stop at a Dead Sea resort for 2 nights and drive to the airport from there. We stayed at the Movenpick and loved it!
Actually we are not ok at the moment about traveling to that region. I'm hoping things will settle down. Ideally we would go in the winter mos. so it won't be too hot.
We have been to the Dead Sea before BTW.
I see reviews for the Movenpick are very good.
Maybe we could get a flight to Amman from ORD, get a connection from Amman to Cairo and them return to ORD from CAI.
\
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by jacketwatch
Actually we are not ok at the moment about traveling to that region. I'm hoping things will settle down. Ideally we would go in the winter mos. so it won't be too hot.
We have been to the Dead Sea before BTW.
I see reviews for the Movenpick are very good.
Maybe we could get a flight to Amman from ORD, get a connection from Amman to Cairo and them return to ORD from CAI.
\
We’re not typically “resort people” but Movenpick was a wonderful end to the Jordan portion of our trip.

We flew from NYC to IAD to AMM, then AMM to CAI, and CAI to Venice as a stopover before returning to NYC.

I'm pretty sure you read my TR but if it’s been a while, here it is again!

Egypt and Jordan: it was truly amaazing!

I’m,pre