Tanzania in 6 Days

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania in 6 Days

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributes to this forum as there is so much great information shared. The photos and journals are amazing. My husband and I are off in just 6 more days for our first safari adventure and couldn't be more excited. We were a little concerned about going in April because of the long rains but I think that will not be an issue. Besides we might be able to get some beautiful rainbow pictures. We are hoping to see lots of animals and some of the most colorful birds too. Well, we just wanted to thank you all for the great advice as we got a lot of great tips. Tanzania here we come!!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:45 AM

Have a wonderful time. I'm looking forward to your trip report. You are about to find out why the rest of us are obsessed with Africa. Welcome to the club!
Lily
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:42 AM

Fun times in Tanzania! Enjoy and please report back.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 08:26 AM

I'm envious! Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:30 AM

Have a great safari. And, please, please, please share a trip report and photos with us. We will be leaving in about 7 weeks so a "teaser" will be appreciated.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Now only 5 more days and we absolutely will share our trip report with photos. If anyone has any "did you remember to?" we would really like to hear them as we are trying not to overpack but don't want to forget something either. Thanks again and did I mention how excited we are?
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:15 AM

I have been reading this forum for several months now and it has been very helpful when planning our trip, and we also leave in just a few days! the 5th of April we are going to Nairobi and then we will first visit Sweetwaters or I think the new name is Ol Pejeta Conservancy after that we are heading for Tanzania. Following the photos and the journals here at Fodor's have made us even more exited about our trip! Where are you going in Tanzania? And have you heard any recent news about the weather/status of the long rains?
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Sembla,
We are starting out from Arusha on to Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro and then to the Serengeti National Park which includes a balloon ride. I check the weather reports but it just looks like a chance of showers every day. I would love to hear from someone just back from any of these areas with road and bug updates. I did read the other day where some people had a tsetse fly encounter but said it didn't matter in comparison to the sites they were enjoying. What is your itinerary like?
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
jnk

funtimes2 - we are leaving about the same time as you for a 10-day safari in tanzania as well. we're staying overnight in arusha, then heading out to lake manyara, southern serengeti, central serengeti and ngorongoro. which operator are you going with? we are with good earth. i don't think we'll cross paths with our itinerary, but would love to compare notes once we both get back. hope you have a great time!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:51 AM

Unless you have one of the more expensive water-proof cameras you might want to pack a few clear freezer baggies to take with you. What I do when I know it's going to be raining is to remove my camera straps, make holes in the two corners of the baggie, thread the straps through and reattach them to the camera. Everything but the end of the lens is then covered (don't want to take pictures through the baggie) and I can still see/ access my camera controls. I know one can buy posh clear camera cases but I checked these out and found they were made of too stiff a plastic for me to easily access the controls plus added bulk when putting back into the camera bag.

Also, depending on what kind of camera you are using, a good thing to have for rainbow pictures is a polarising filter. Apologies if you've already discussed the camera gear side of things, and I've missed it.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:07 AM

We are so looking forward to our trip now and our initiary is like this;
6th of April arriving in Nairob, staying at Nairobi Safari club
7th - 9th of April - Sweetwater camp
10th - Arusha
11th driving to Manyara Serena Lodge
12th - 13th Serengeti
14th - 15th Ngorongoro
16th back to Arusha
17th to Nairobi
18th-19th Nairobi and Daphne Sheldrick's elephant orphanage, Karen Blixen farm etc.
this is our first time in Kenya and Tanzania and we really had a struggel with where to go,also because we did not have that much time - but this is what we finally ended up with, and we are ready to go!

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM

Hope you all have great trips! Looking forward to the reports and photos.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

jnk,
We are going with Tauck World Discovery and covering the same ground but like you said we probably won't cross paths. Would love to compare notes too when we get back. Hope you have a great time too!
Kavey,
Thank you for the plastic bag for the camera idea and we just added some bags in our luggage. We do have a polarizing filter, so look forward to some nice rainbow pics when we get back.
Sembla,
Our trips are similar but in a different order but I can't wait to hear about your visit to the elephant orphanage. Have a great trip.
Patty,
Thank you for the well wishes and I bet I speak for all of us saying we look forward to sharing our Africa experiences.