Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Private safari question (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/private-safari-question-711279/)

godmother_lr Jun 7th, 2007 06:02 AM

Private safari question

Hi everyone, I haven't been reading this forum long as I just decided to go to Arusha 2 weeks ago. I am going for 9 days and staying with some friends that are there for 2 months. I want to go on a safari, but for the first week of July, the choices are limited. My friends are going to go on a safari later when her parents join them, so I am solo.

Many companies do private safaris only, and I can't seem to find any that have a group going at that time (July 4 or so). But some companies have offered to do a private safari for me. Assuming the price can be covered (although with everything needed to go, shots, film, clothing, etc.. my funds are quickly depleting), going it alone seems a little scary. I am wondering if those of you who may have done it this way liked it, felt safe or was it lonely.

Thanks for any input. And if anyone wants to join me at that time, let me know.

-Kelly

By the way, you guys have been cracking me up the last couple of days. Sounds like some great people who love Africa.

atravelynn Jun 8th, 2007 12:54 PM

Would have responded earlier but the forum was being maintained when I tried several times to log on.

If it is a reputable company going alone has only one drawback--the price. Your friends in Arusha could help you locate an operator with a good reputation. I've gone alone several times and it is never scary or uncomfortable. On the contrary, it is a luxury that usually costs more. You'll meet up with others at the lodges and camps so you are never truly alone. Go and have fun.

Dana_M Jun 8th, 2007 01:38 PM

Hi Kelly,
Traveling alone is not a problem. A safari is one of the perfect trips to be on by yourself. As Lynn mentioned, you will meet others at the camps. You will be on game drives with others as well.

I don't know if your question referred to a private safari, for example, with a guide joining you, or if you were merely asking about traveling by yourself. The former is certainly not necessary, and I imagine would be cost prohibitive.

I believe Lynn travels by herself quite often. You can search on this board for her name and read about some of the trips she has taken, and her upcoming trip (to Phinda later this month I believe). You can also search my name above and see my itinerary for Namibia and Botswana in a couple of weeks. I am traveling solo. The first portion of my trip (Namibia) is with a group, but that was solely to keep the cost down. During the second part of my trip (12 nights in Botswana camps)I will be traveling alone.

I have traveled to Africa alone before, without joining a group. The time I spent on safari is the vacation of a lifetime. Definitely do it. You will have a wonderful time.

Good luck and let us know where you decide to go.

Dana

godmother_lr Jun 8th, 2007 03:26 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, Dana, I was refering to going with a guide. I just can't imagine seeing it all and being relaxed if I am trying to figure out where to go, how to get there, paying all the right entrance fees and such. I travel for work 90% of the time and want a break from the responsibility of it all. And I would rather be with other people, since I spend so much time on my own. The one company that seems to have what I would want (a 5 day trip)is Victoria Expeditions, but seems to have more mixed reviews than others. My friend's local contact said that she heard that they "are a bit dodgy-telling people that they are taking them to the serengetti, and then taking them somewhere else". Maybe I want to think the best of everyone and something like that couldn't really happen. But it does make me pause. It looks like I will just probably figure it out once I get there. I can't wait, but was just trying to see what I can get done before I go.
My friends may be a little helpful once they get there. But they only arrive 2 weeks before me (they leave next Friday)so they are as just in the dark as me. Right now they still don't have a place to stay, so I can't put that much pressure on her. They will be traveling and trying to settle in with a 6 and 8 year old.

I have enjoyed reading this site and especially, Lynda's lists. Besides helping me think of things I wouldn't have, it made me look into weight restrictions. So just double checking iteneraries and my flights revealed that Kenya Airways has cancelled my connecting flight from Nairobi to Kilamanjaro. Their computers have been down and so I am having trouble getting things rescheduled. Let's hope that I can get that fixed or I might be back on searching for folks discussing taking the shuttle to Arusha. I read about sleeping in the Nairobi airport for mere curiosity, but now I may need to take some notes.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I am the most adventurous of all my friends, but pale in comparison to some of you. I am so excited, it is hard to get my work done.

Have a great weekend.
Kelly

Dana_M Jun 9th, 2007 12:04 PM

Hi Kelly,
What is the cost of taking a private guide with you? When I looked into a private safari several years ago, I was basically going to have to pay the price of two people because that was normally the minimum the operators required to schedule the trip. That was before I realized there was no need for a private guide if I did not travel by road (which I did not want to do alone).

You might be able to get the cost of flight(s) to/from camp(s) for the same cost of the guide and vehicle. If you fly into a camp they will pick you up at the airstrip. You can book most camps all-inclusive, so they take care of all of the entrance fees and everything else. I don't like having to deal with all of the details either, so this is the way I travel. I use a travel agent to book everything, but am not accompanied by a private guide on my trips. I imagine many others on this board do the same. When in camp you will have a guide for game drives, and be with others in vehicles and at meals so you will not be alone.

Do you have a budget in mind, and an idea of where you want to go? Where do you live (in what country)? We may be able to offer advice on a travel agent who could look into specifics for you.

I have read on this board that CCAfrica's single supplements are not as high as some other camps. I have been to a number of CCAfrica camps in both Tanzania and Kenya, and all were fantastic. Most have airstrips close by, and they will pick you up. Hence no need to pay for that private guide. CCAfrica's accomodations are not inexpensive, and others on this board could have a number of other ideas. Therefore, it would help to know your budget. CCAfrica also has a travel agent division, I believe, although that is not who I booked through when I took the East Africa trip in 2003.

Give us some more information and we'll make some more recommendations.

godmother_lr Jun 9th, 2007 02:50 PM

Dana, thanks. I guess I wasn't aware that some of the lodges did the game drives on their own. I wondered how the folks got around once they got there. I actually have contacted CC Africa and here is what they say they could do for for me.

"We can assist with availability for the nights of the 4th and 5th July
at Klein's Camp under Canvas and for the nights of the 6th and 7th at Grumeti River Camp (subject to change) Please see attached for lodge
descriptions.
Regrettably our other lodges on the Northern Circuit are fully booked
for these dates.

The rate is USD 790 per person per night and

The rate includes:-
*Accommodation
*Three meals daily
*Teas and Coffees
*Refreshments on game drives
*Scheduled safari activities
*Laundry
*Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers
*Emergency medical evacuation insurance

The rate excludes:
*Telephone calls
*Curio shop purchases
*Flights and transfers to and from the lodges
*Gratuities and items of a personal nature
*Champagne, cognacs, premium brand spirits, cellar wines, cigars and
cigarettes
*National park fees and Klein's Camp conservancy fees. These fees are
charged for a 24 hour period ie. should guests arrive on the morning
flight
and depart the following day on the afternoon flight, park fees for two
days
will be charged."

So if I am reading that right $3200 for 4 days PLUS airfare and park fees seems a little steep. It looks like it would all be first class, which is appealing. But it is just hard to part with that much cash. Maybe I am just spoiled with being able to normally travel with airmiles and hotel points. Or I can look at it like I have always saved so much on other vacations that I can afford to spend it here. It is just so hard to decide.

I live in Dallas, TX and it would be great to have a travel agent to help. But I moved here recently and don't have a clue where to go.

I sure appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Kelly

Dana_M Jun 9th, 2007 06:19 PM

Hi Kelly,
In 2003 my trip averaged about $750/day, inclusive of all internal air transfers, but of course that was 4 years ago. Also, it was all top notch. I did not realize that when I booked everything. I would have been very happy with much lesser accomodations, but since I was traveling alone I erred on the luxury (read "expensive") side.

I have stayed at Klein's camp, and at Grumeti River Camp. Both are wonderful. They are definitely high end, and therefore not inexpensive. You can do the same type of trip but with less expensive accomodations. They will likely still be top notch.

I don't know a travel agent in Dallas, but Bert Duplessis of Fish Eagle Safaris (in Houston) booked my Namibia/Botswana trip. He is from South Africa, and specializes in Southern Africa, but could also probably work with you in Tanzania. I have found him wonderful to work with.

You might look at the accomodations listed in the Victoria Expeditions "tour" and see if a TA can book those accomodations for you independently, if you can get to the camp via air.

CCAfrica does an excellent job, and while it sounds expensive, I am sure it will be worth every penny. However, you should look into other accomodations, and you might want to consider just one location since you only have 5 days/4 nights. That would eliminate one flight.

You might want to post a new message, like "Tanzania TA recommendations?" and see what comes back. Then call a few people. You are going to be subject to availability at this point, and a TA can probably offer quite a bit of assistance.

Also, if you search on this site for "travel agents" you will pull up some posts that show you people do/do not recommend.

I have found this board very helpful. If you keep posting, you will get advice.

Dana

atravelynn Jun 9th, 2007 06:24 PM

That price is steep, but then that's CC Africa level of service and accommodation.

Here are some other suggestions.

This is a contact a friend of mine who lives in Houston gave me. She has used this agent.

Graham J Farebrother
Absolute Adventure Travel
9 Greenway Plaza, Suite 3112
Houston, Texas 77046
713 807 9620 Toll Free 1 800 298 1312
www.absoluteadventuretravel.com

There is also Fish Eagle Safaris in Texas. The owner Bert is very helpful.

Get a Bradt, Rough Guide, and Lonely Planet on Kenya or East Africa and see what agents they list and call.

Good luck.

Dana_M Jun 9th, 2007 06:32 PM

Kelly-
I probably should have said "TA for Tanzania trip" insted of "Tanzania TA". You don't need a TA physically in Tanzania.

Dana_M Jun 9th, 2007 06:43 PM

Hi Lynn,
Our posts are crossing. We are both apparently giving Kelly similar advice.

I am home on Saturday night trying to figure out what in the world I am going to pack for my Namibia/Botswana trip. I'll be out of town on business all next week, and don't know what I do/do not own. What's your excuse?

Are you still up for a small group gorilla trekking trip in 2009? Or is Namibia winning out?

Dana

QueenofDaNile Jun 10th, 2007 04:02 AM

Kelly,

If you haven't already you may want to contact Green Footprint Adventures. They are based in Arusha, very accomodating and have an excellent reputation. We are having no problem dealing with them via email & phone from the states. Have to believe that they could come up with a wonderful itinerary for you for a lot less $$$ than you've been quoted.
Best of luck!

atravelynn Jun 10th, 2007 07:15 AM

Dana,

I am almost always home on Sat. night. No excuse, it's just the status quo.

Good luck with both packing and your business trip.

I am surprised you are able to keep up with my mental plans for the future! I'm impressed. Nambia and the gorillas are in a tight race just like the Belmont Stakes! But it's early in the race. I think Namibia has the edge because of a "horse on the outside" known as Mongolia in Late June. That would work well with Namibia in August for 2009.

How is your 2009 shaping up? Or are your mental faculties focused solely on your upcoming trip for work and packing for 2007? I'll want to know all about Namibia when you get back.

Back to the <b>Private Safari</b> question. There was a post several months back about someone planning and departing on a safari all in the span of about 2 weeks. They used Green Footprints and were happy.

There is also Sunny, Kiliwarriors, Good Earth.

Dana_M Jun 10th, 2007 08:21 AM

Kelly,
QueenofDaNile and Lynn have some excellent suggestions. Please let us know what you arrange.

Lynn,
The reason I remember your plans for gorilla trekking is that I was adding Namibia to my Botswana trip because I wanted to keep 2009 open for Uganda. You said that was funny because Namibia and gorillas were competing for your time also. I also remember asking about when you were going, but don't remember the answer, so don't be too impressed with my memory. I think that is because the answer had more to do with your travel schedule than with the best time of year (I think).

It sounds like you travel quite a bit, and you offer excellent advice, so yes, I'm listening.

Namibia/Botswana planning, getting ready to be gone for 3 weeks, and my regular hectic work schedule are taking up all of my time. I travel a fair amount for business, rarely to the same place, and often without much advance notice. So while my life is always a bit frantic, I can pack quickly, and with my eyes closed. Right now I'm just trying to make sure that what I want to take with me doesn't end up in the luggage for my trip this week, just in case luggage is lost. I also had to find my winter socks, hat, scarf, fleece, all those things I only wear once or twice a year when traveling to Chicago or NYC. I did manage to get all that done last night, and feel better now that I don't need to go buy anything. I did buy some glommits a few weeks back, thanks to your recommendation. I think they will both keep my hands worm and work well with a camera.

I haven't thought about 2009 any further, but I'm sure it will be the first thing on my list when I get back. Other parts of the world continue to compete with Africa for vacation time. Your comparison to the Belmont Stakes is a good one. You never know until the race is over. Sometimes the underdog wins.

Aren't you off somewhere soon? I thought Phinda, and remember that because I was at Forest Lodge a few years ago. But then I also thought I read Mala Mala.

I'll let you know all about Namibia when I return. After all of the advice people on this board have given me, I am definitely planning on writing a trip report. Actually, I'm going to take a dictaphone. My plans are to record something every night so when I get back I can give the tapes to someone to transcribe. I am realistic enough to know it won't get done any other way. I will also post photos, although I am horrible with a camera.

Speaking of photos, I am off to find my 2003 photos of Bateleur's camp for Moremiles and load them to a website.

Dana

hills27 Jun 10th, 2007 03:11 PM

What are glommits?

Dana_M Jun 10th, 2007 08:12 PM

Hills,
Glommitts are gloves/mittens combined. Lynn described them well in a previous post. Here's the link:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35005504

I haven't copied a link before, so I hope it works.

Dana

Dana_M Jun 10th, 2007 08:25 PM

The link works. See Lynn's description of the glommits. It is a very good one.

hills27 Jun 10th, 2007 09:42 PM

Ah, I've been looking for a pair but didn't now the proper name. Where did you get yours?

Thanks.

Marija Jun 11th, 2007 04:14 AM

Bass Pro Shops have them online and in their stores.

Dana_M Jun 11th, 2007 09:51 AM

Or try gloves online:

http://www.gloves-online.com/mittens.htm

atravelynn Jun 11th, 2007 02:54 PM

I think I got my gloves/mittens at Gander Mountain.