Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Private Guides in Israel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/private-guides-in-israel-494674/)

elmom Jan 11th, 2005 06:04 PM

Private Guides in Israel?

We are going to Israel as a family (H&W, plus kids 9, 14 an 16) in July. We don't really want to do a bus tour. Anybody know anything about DD Tours? Any other private guides/alternative experiences to recommend?

boppiess Feb 18th, 2005 04:30 PM

Anyone have an answer to this question? I too am considering a private guide. Or, does anyone know anything about day tours running out of Tel Aviv for July? Thanks.

Gardyloo Feb 18th, 2005 07:01 PM

There ought to be plenty of day tours available from Tel Aviv; consult your hotel concierge or front desk. I assume you're aware that the heat and possibly humidity in Tel Aviv will be oppressive; away from the coast it will just be <i>hot.</i>

Elmom, I don't know anything about DD tours, but I looked at their website and they have the Ministry of Tourism logo on it, so I have to assume they're on the up and up. US$300 or so for a car and driver for a day seems okay to me (I assume a tip would be expected, so probably more all in.) The $1 per km over 200km might be a catch - that would limit you to reasonably close-by destinations (i.e., not the Galilee or Masada from Tel Aviv) but maybe that's negotiable.

The only other thing I would recommend you consider is just renting a car and driving around yourselves. The roads are excellent, and you can cover a fair amount of ground.

Again, though, I'd emphasize that unless you live in Las Vegas, Phoenix, or someplace similar, don't underestimate how the heat can impact your family on a vacation to Israel in July.

hamitzer Feb 20th, 2005 07:03 AM

We used a local travel agent in israel called sunway tours, and their excellent guide, I think his name was Zlatko ?
Our friends used them too and were very happy with the budget and the guiding.
Their e-mail is: [email protected]

JackieSun Feb 20th, 2005 04:41 PM

We have used private guides in Israel. $300 per day is the standard rate. You can drive to the sites on your own, but you do not receive the historical and cultural information on the site. That is what we wanted. We have taken the tours and they are great. Most sites are fairly standard and the guides are very good. We have learned so much from the experiences. Do not be fearful of a tour. Just look for tours that limit participants to 20 -25.
Their training and insight is invaluable. We have hired private guides to take us to more unique sites. One on of special interest to us was: were David fought Goliath. Seeing the geography and hearing the story on the land brought everything to life.

We loved it. Would encourage you to leverage group tours - ie lower cost if just a couple of you or hire a guide.
Enjoy!!!

JackieSun Feb 20th, 2005 04:42 PM

July will be very hot. Just make sure you are prepared. We were there in May and some of the &quot;hot&quot; sites were very hot then. Masada will probably be about 120 F.

hamitzer Feb 22nd, 2005 01:06 AM

William-
When we checked the official rate for guide was USD 150 per day- this is if the guide works on a bus /group tour.This is the official rate signed by the guides-union.then off course you add the other costs like bus etc. Private guide will cost USD 300 include the car(he is also driving).where can you find USD 80 guide in Israel???