Private guides for Fez and Marrakech?

Sep 29th, 2018, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Private guides for Fez and Marrakech?

Hi folks - we're treating ourselves this trip and want to book a guide our first morning in each city for a private part day walking tour. We've done this in the past in Italy with Context, who provide actual historians as guides. Contact doesn't work in Morocco, so I'm looking for recommendations for Fez and Marrakech in particular. I recognize we may not get historians, but we are interested in the history and current culture in each city, not in shopping. We're staying in the medina in each city, so I'm guessing that should be the focus of the tour but we're open minded - after all, that's what we're hiring a guide for!

Any recommendations will be much appreciated.

TIA - R.
Sep 30th, 2018, 12:49 AM

Utilize your hotel to recommend a guide.
Sep 30th, 2018, 12:34 PM

Probably every single guide in both Fez and Marrakech will take great delight in giving you all the dates and details about the various Moroccan dynasties in excruciating detail.

Personally I'd rather see the communal baker, the local infants' classroom, a working fondouk and a farrier.
Sep 30th, 2018, 12:47 PM

I suspect the answers given above, despite their common sense and the experience of the posters, won’t satisfy the OP. I gave 3 practical answers to earlier questions and my impression from the deafening silence was that they were not pleased. It costs nothing to thank people for their effort anyway and sometimes answers we didn’t foresee are exactly the ones we need.
Oct 7th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks, folks - I have booked guides through our Riads. Easiest route to go, and given the recommendations above I feel comfortable doing so.

MmePerdu, my apologies if I have seemed rude. My silence has not been that I have disliked the responses I have received. On the contrary, they have been very valuable and I have followed the advice contained in many. Yours in particular in fact.

I have always posted with "TIA" (Thanks In Advance) in my signature as I don't wish to be rude, but it seems that is inadequate. I appreciate your pointing out I have seemed rude, and I will now make a point of going back t each of my posts and thanking the contributors. It may take a bit of time so I won't get it done tonight, but you will see it happening - R.