Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Private game drive vehicle at Kirkman's Kamp (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/private-game-drive-vehicle-at-kirkmans-kamp-732427/)

Krugerlover Aug 28th, 2007 08:11 AM

Private game drive vehicle at Kirkman's Kamp

I have finally decided to go Kirkman's Kamp in the first week of December. Does anyone know how much a private game drive vehicle will cost now that CC Africa has taken over Kirkman's Kamp.

Regards,

KL

cary999 Aug 28th, 2007 08:20 AM

Hi KL, how are you, I'm going to be in Kruger next week, camp Letaba.
Why get right or wrong answer(s) by asking here? How will you know which are correct? Ask CC, they should know for sure.

regards - tom

Krugerlover Aug 28th, 2007 10:53 AM

Thanks Tom. But I already did. Sent it after office hours and I just thought that some bush gurus like yourself could inform me before they contact me tommorrow.

Thanks for your reply. Be on the lookout for the new big tuskers in the Letaba area. You absolutely have to go check out the elephant museum at Letaba. Are you going to Mala Mala after that by any chance? I see the Eyerfield pride have a total of 9 cubs now!

Hope you love your stay at my favourite place in the world!

Regards - KL

cary999 Aug 28th, 2007 11:06 AM

Hi KL, after 4 nights at Letaba we are going to Kings Camp for 5 nights, then yes, MalaMala for 6 nights. I really hope to see those 9 cubs everyday!!!!

regards - tom
ps - let us know what your hear back from CC.

sevendown Aug 28th, 2007 11:41 AM

I had a similar question regarding CC's mobile camp in the Serengeti in Tanzania. My operator told me he checked directly with CC Africa, and, contrary to CC's website (which is incorrect on a number of points), CC Africa does not offer private vehicles in the Serengeti.

Perhaps the answer is different for South Africa (although I just checked and the fact sheets for both properties say the same thing "Private 4x4 Safari Vehicle: If available, extra cost.") If it is avaiable in SA, please post again here and let us know.

napamatt Aug 28th, 2007 02:38 PM

KL

Don't know the cost, but if you can get Giles Kelmanson as your ranger.
He's excellent, except as a timekeeper.

Matt

KIBOKO Aug 28th, 2007 02:52 PM

I don't know about Kirkmans but I was told 4,100 Zar per day for a private vehicle at Ngala

cj

Clematis1 Aug 28th, 2007 08:27 PM

Sevendown, the key words are "if available." I can see why it would be hard for them to provide private guides at the mobile camp in Tanzania because it's out of the way and not in a permanent setting. But at other places like CCAfrica's Crater Lodge, you can book a private vehicle (and it was worth it). I think that cost was $500 for the day but it will vary from place to place.

To Krugerlover, I think it's a good decision as whenever I saw a Kirkman vehicle, it seemed quite packed.

HariS Aug 29th, 2007 12:24 AM

I don't know how a private vehicle would work out at Kirkman's......you have a strict three car rule, which means more often than not...you may be given last choice to visit sightings? Perhaps, you can visit last and stay longer in one spot? who knows.......

napamatt Aug 29th, 2007 06:54 AM

Hari

I'm not sure why you would get last place at sightings, you've taken a leap of logic that I don't quite understand. In my experience of operations on that property, proximity to a sighting is the key factor, not the number of people per vehicle.

Krugerlover Aug 29th, 2007 07:15 AM

Thanks for clrearing that up, Matt. Hari got me worried.

Matt - Did you drive with Giles at Mala Mala or at Kirkman's Kamp? We had the choice between Exeter Dulini and Kirkman's. Is Kirkman's the better choice game viewing wise?

Thanks to everybody,

KL

HariS Aug 29th, 2007 05:59 PM

Napamatt,

I haven't even been to Kirkman's...but, i just felt that at times, when the cars are full and every one is demanding, the rangers want to run around a little more....the western sabi sands when the lodges are full there, is one such example.

I do look forward to Rattray's in January next year. Didnt have to book a private vehicle as we are a party of 4!

Clematis1 Aug 29th, 2007 09:51 PM

Hari, you are going to love that. That will be the way to go, you'll have your own car and be able to say if you want to stay longer, or move on, etc. I hope you've got 3 nts? (or more...)

The cooperation between the drivers/rangers at Mala Mala and Kirkman's was nice to see. We always knew if we saw a vehicle that information would be shared. One night several of us were tracking two lions. It helped to have the other vehicles.

HariS Aug 29th, 2007 10:21 PM

Thanks, we hv 5 nights there

Krugerlover Aug 29th, 2007 10:53 PM

Hope you enjoy it Hari.

I enquired about the number of rooms open at Kirkman's for the dates I'm going and they replied by saying that the camp is totally empty so far( 7 - 10 December)! So maybe I don't even have to take a private vehicle. They will simply assign me one( hopefully as Giles as my ranger).

Thanks for all the comments.

Regards,

KL

Krugerlover Aug 29th, 2007 11:50 PM

I have just recieved confirmation from CC Africa that a private land rover is ZAR 4700-00 per day. I'm sorry but that is a bit out of my price range! Ridicilous to be honest!!

Any comments on this rate?

KayeN Aug 30th, 2007 12:01 AM

Hi KL

I am guessing that it is so much, because they put a lot more people in their vehicles and you may pay per empty seat. It is too much and being the only ones at camp isn't great either as no other vehicles out looking!

I also very much enjoyed Giles as my ranger at MM. In fact, mention that you want to see him race in the bush after a rock monitor. My niece and I initially thought he had lost the plot, until he returned with the monitor - and then both so surprised, so Rachael never got it on video.

Kind regards

Kaye

Krugerlover Aug 30th, 2007 12:15 AM

Dear KayeN,

I am sure there will be a few more bookings before we go. I will be using MTbeds and will only be booking 30 or 14 days prior of travelling. There should be space for us.

Regarding the looking for animals: Well I honestly would love to see as many leopards as possible, but just to out in the bush everyday would be such a blessing in its own way!

Kind Regards,

Kruger(possibly sabisands too)Lover

KayeN Aug 30th, 2007 04:16 AM

Hi KL

I am a huge fan of MalaMala, which of course, shares some traversing rights with Kirkman's Kamp, so you will be seeing some of the leopards that I see when I am visiting. You shall be there a bit earlier than me, as I return back in the middle of December.

Kind regards

Kaye

napamatt Aug 30th, 2007 05:59 AM

KL

If you consider the costs of providing a private vehicle, it may not be that ridiculous. But I think your timing will work in your favour.

M