Private Car and Driver

Feb 13th, 2003, 08:23 AM
JKG
Original Poster

Private Car and Driver

My fiancee and I will spend about a week of our South Africa honeymoon on tour of the Winelands, the Overburg, and the Garden Route. We feel that a private car and driver makes good sense for a number of reasons, including convenience and safety.

My question is whether we need a private car and driver. Is it is easy to obtain point to point transfers between, say, the Winelands and Hermanus, Hermanus and Swellenham, Swellenham and Plett? Assuming we would two nights in, for example, Plett, would we need a driver for the second day? My assumption is that we could take cabs or arrange for car service on our own for the second day to tour Plett's environs.

Thanks.
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Hello JKG,

At the outset of this answer may I point out that I am one of those private drivers in the area that you will be touring (or should I say tourguides) that you are speaking of. With that said I am going to answer you with an enormous amount of experience.

In a nutshell in answer to your question my answer to you would be that if you can afford it then it certainly is worth having a private guide.

My reasons for saying this are:

1. You will save an enormous amount of time seeing the area as you will not be wasting time travelling from spot to spot trying to find your way – that is if you have chosen a knowledgeable guide )

2. Both you and your new bride will REALLY see the area as you will not be in a position of one of you driving and the other one nagigating; oops I mean navigating )

3.If you drive with a good tourguide you will more than likely be travelling in a way that you will see all the little hidden secret places that locals frequent as opposed to the normal touristy places that all the tourbooks suggest. In actual fact you should see the REAL South Africa

4. Depending on your guide for the journey you should be able to walk away from your visit to our country with a very good idea as to what we are all about in South Africa and furthermore how truly beautiful our country is.

The drawback to all of the above is that it will generally cost you more than if you drive yourself or tour on a group scheduled tour but then you have to ask yourself after investing so much money and time to simply arrive in South Africa is it not worth your while investing slightly more and obtaining a close to perfect holiday for your extra investment???

In your Fodors mail you ask the question:

“Is it is easy to obtain point to point transfers between, say, the Winelands and Hermanus, Hermanus and Swellenham, Swellenham and Plett? Assuming we would two nights in, for example, Plett, would we need a driver for the second day? My assumption is that we could take cabs or arrange for car service on our own for the second day to tour Plett's environs.”

In answer firstly it is NOT easy to find new daily drivers to take you from place to place. If you take this path of action you are going to go crazy organising your journey.

Secondly if you want to see the country then my suggestion is that you drive with a tourguide whereas if you simply want to travel from place to place then employ a taxi driver. The reason as to why I say this is because tourguides are qualified to show you the country (and believe me the qualification is not to be sneered at) while taxi drivers will get you from point A to B and will tell you odds and ends along the way, half of which could well be hogwash. Furthermore strictly speaking any taxi driver who acts as a tourguide and who does not have the relevant qualification is in actual fact operating illegaly.

All in all the final decision of what to do lies in your hands.

No matter what you decide I can assure you that you will be visiting wonderful new terrain and I am 100% sure that you will have a great honeymoon in our wonderful country. Enjoy.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]

Search this Thread