Search

Any Afghanistan info?

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Afghanistan info?

Thanks to Uncle Sam, I will be in Kabul for a week. I'm booked at Mustafa Hotel on Chicken and Flower Streets.

I will be very busy, but there may be a night or 2 I could get away. Any info would be helpful.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 05:19 AM

Keep your head down!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:40 AM

Hi AA,
Check out the Thorn Tree forum. Those kids go everywhere. I see that the first ATM has opened in Kabul quite recently.

Please write a trip report when you return. I will be fascinated to hear your impressions.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

I'm off.....

I'm sitting in the great AA Flagship Lounge at ORD waiting for my flight to Frankfurt.

I may not have a chance to report till I get to Kabul, but I will do anything in my power to keep in touch with some of the wonderful people on this board. Have a wonderful weekend!

Be careful out there!

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 03:49 PM
sandi

We should be careful???

Think it's the other way around.

I second mgmargate "keep your head down" - safe travels.

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

I have time for a quick report. What an amazing country! I'm like a little kid in a candy store, wide-eyed and hungry for more. This place needs a great deal of work, but amazingly the people are it's best asset. After decades of war, death, destruction, one would think that's not possible. These people have been through hell and back, yet they're able to smile and enjoy the little things in life. Simply unbelievable. One of the pictures I got to take was of a flower shop in Kabul. To me at least, it was like seeing a little wild flower bloom on the first spring day after a horrible and cold winter. The first sign of good things to come.

The US Army boys are taking good care of me. Mostly in Kabul, but we had gone to the countryside. Our guys here are doing a tremendous job. Be proud of these guys. More are actually involved in rebuilding the country than actually fighting the resistence which is mostly foreign, drug and warlord controlled, but the ones that are in the field are kicking some major butt. New schools and hospitals are being build everyday. Our guys deliver care packages to remote villages. They include but are not limited to blankets, food, school supplies and toys for kids, household items, etc. To some it may seem like a waste of money and time, and many times it does seem that way. At first, many of of the older people don't trust the foreigners and for a good reason, and it may take few visits before they show some gratitude to the guys for the gifts, but the childrens eyes don't lie. Through many of these programs, the children of Afghanistan are learning that the Americans, British, Spanish, French, Poles, etc... did not come here to conquer. They are only here to help the country regain stability and put it on the world map, where it belongs. The children of Afghanistan are the hope for this country, and I really believe that we are winning this battle. The Afghan girls are back in schools and it's just a pleasure to see both, the girls and boys when they get their own pencil/pen and a notebook, and maybe a book or two. It's hard to believe, but these children seem to appreciate the school supplies more than toys. Don't get me wrong, they go wild over toys, but even more so over school supplies. And my personal theory always was, that if you win the heart and soul of the mothers, wives and daughters, the rest is easy.... even in a male dominated society.

The biggest story here is about the young Afghan boxer that will get to go to the summer olympics in Greece. He's trained by an American. The trainer was/is a hired contractor and also happens to be an ex-olympic fighter and somehow he got together with the Afghan boxer and the dream is coming true. Can't think of the American's name right now, but that's the kind of stories that dominate the local news.

On the lighter side, what the hell happen to England? They had the game wrapped up with about 1-2 minutes to go. Very disappointing. I hope we get to play them again in the final on 7/4. I actually got to watch the game with few members of the many different international troops stationed here. It was a magical experience. The British and the French were actually getting a little hot, but at the end we all ended having some wonderful time, drinking something that I really don't want to ever drink again....... and I do like my alcohol It was rough on the first day out in the field on Monday

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:32 AM
sandi

AAFrequentFlyer - Had been wondering about you, so glad to hear you're ok, and great to hear that there appear to be successes over there. The stories we don't get from CNN or others. Nice to know that our guys are taking care of you and keeping you out of trouble, or maybe not. Those drinks sound like "fire-water." Post again if you can as this one was an eye opener. I know you'll have great tales to tell once you're Stateside - but Portugal first, right? Post again if you can and travel safe.

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Interesting trip report, thanks very much. I was in Iran last year and the people were also incredibly friendly and very pro American.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 10:17 PM

Wow, AA, I was stunned to see where you were going. You've helped me in the past, what a great resource you are.

Your stories about Afghanistan touched me. Let us know more when you can.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Still in Afghanistan. I can't go into details but we had some setbacks. Anyway scheduled for a flight tomorrow. I should be in Portugal on Tuesday.

GO GREECE!!!!! What a great win for the Greeks. Congratulations and since my favorite team, England got cheated and is out of the tournament, I'm all about the Cinderella team of the EURO2004. I hope Greece goes all the way!!!!!