Trip Report | Climbing Kilimanjaro Nov '05

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report | Climbing Kilimanjaro Nov '05

Hi all!

Yes, we did!

After a little delay in sorting through the photos (of which there were more than 900 between the 5 of us) I've managed to get them all online as well as our stories about what we suffered...and what we really enjoyed!!

The main page for everything is at:

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/a...imanjaro-climb

You can find links to the photos, everyone's stories, a bit of poetry and some indispensable facts about life from the Team Guru!

I hope you enjoy reading everything and looking at the pics. There really are some brilliant stories to be told from this incredible adventure!

Oh, with the photos, make sure you turn the captions on! For some reason, the default is off and I haven't figured out how to fix it yet!

To do this, there is a link on the left hand side of the Gallery page that says "Show: no captions | captions". Click on 'captions' to turn them on and read the witty commentary!!!

We all had the most brilliant time and it's great to be able to share it with everyone.

Enjoy and I hope its helpful to those of you who want to try Kili yourselves!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:00 PM

luckykat

great pics! Thanks!

I did notice that the porters were carrying bags on their heads instead of canvas waterproof "kit bags" with proper handles that can be carried in backpack style. Were these porters from your outfitter?

Such bags are very uncomfortable for the porters and really not a best practice! Imagine carrying a heavy thrash bag all the way up a 19,000ft mountain!

To help stop this practice by budget outfitters, future climbers should please insist that porters are properly equipped for the trek.

Eben
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Great pics-nothing I would like to do, but seems like your group had a fun time! Thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi climbhighsleeplow.

As you can see from these 2 pics, all the porters were provided with the kinds of bags you describe.

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/w...2_itemId=10323
http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/w...2_itemId=10325

Some of them carried them as backpacks, some carried them on their heads by choice and some took the stuff out and carried it on their heads! All of the bags were meticulously weighed on hanging scales to ensure the limits were not exceeded.

Not all the porters in the photos were ours but our crew were definitely provided with the right equipment for the job. We also definitely had enough people in our crew to make sure noone was carrying more than they should have been.

I went with the Marangu Hotel who are widely recognised as a quality outfitter. Do drop them a mail if you have concerns and I'm sure they will reply to give you, or anyone else who is interested more information.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 04:33 AM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I really appreciate the personal accounts of the journey. I does give one a good sense of what it's truly like on a personal level and how difficult it really is.
Me think me stays on the flat side of it.
Sherry
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 05:17 AM

LuckyKat
Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

My absolute pleasure! I love to travel and hope that any experiences I have will be helpful to anyone thinking my footsteps are interesting....or mad...one of the two!

But climbhighsleeplow makes a very good point. There are a lot of dodgy operators who offer Kili climbs so please research carefully and a discount deal is most likely going to be at the expense of your crew!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 06:16 AM

Thank you luckykat

I figured out to see the captions - these and the pics are GREAT!

You are living your dreams! I am now looking at all your pictures from around the world - awesome.

Where is your next trip?
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Well...I only have 2 continents left to run wild on, South America and Antarctica! I think Chile...or maybe back to Africa...or maybe Mexico....hmmmm....need to get a bit of snowboarding in this season....so many places to see, such a low credit limit left on my card!!!!