What clothing should we take on safari in Tanzania?

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In late December and early January we will be in Tarangire for a couple of days, at the Crater for a day and at Arusha on the return. We have several days in Nairobi both sides of the safari.

Would you tell us what to clothes to bring.

Is it a rainy season adn do we need ponchos?

Do we need hiking boots or can we use tennis shoes?

What camera should we buy (digital and zoom?)

Do we need mosquito repellant?

How about laundry? We are at the Serena in Nairobi and the Sopa at Tarangire and the Crater. Is laundry service easy and reasonable?

Do you suggest such things as sunglasses, hats, casual clothing or are they just extras that get in the way?

Are shorts ok and how cold is it getting so we can plan coat requirements.

For those who know from experience, please let us know what you suggest since you have been there....
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

I would appreciate anyone letting us know what they did on safari for clothes, laundry, etc
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:15 AM
sandi

There are lots of threads here on Fodor's re safari clothing. Do a search in the box on top entering "safari clothing" click the "search" button on the right and the treads will appear on the left. Read thru these for details.

But unless you're hiking, leave the boots home, your fine with anything else as you'll be driven everywhere. Besides boots are heavy and hot...unless you wear them when flying.

December shouldn't be rainy, but most lodges/camps provide umbrellas if you have to walk outside during a brief shower.

Cameras - there are loads of threads on this topic and as above, do a search for these. Just too much information and comments pro/con depending on what you hope to accomplish and spend.

You should always have repellent, though lodgings usually provide a can in your room/tent to spray that area. For yourself, buy a small bottle or packets for yourself with a minimum 30% Deet.

Laundry services are available at lodges/camps, but consider using when you plan to be staying at any one place more than 2-days at laundry is line dried at most places and if there is no sun... you need the extra time. Price for laundry is moderate, but they don't launder women's underwear - do these yourself or bring sufficient for the trip.

Your safari operator should be a good resource for your questions - have they not been able to answer these for you? Or provided you a list of recommended items needed.

Start searching and be prepared to read here on Fodor's.

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:42 AM

I think you need to be prepared for wet and possibly muddy conditions any time of year for gorilla trekking in Rwanda. Check some of the past threads on gorilla trekking as lots of people have posted advice about what to wear/bring.

Are you doing any hiking elsewhere? For vehicle safaris in Kenya/Tanzania, you don't need any special clothing or shoes. As a matter of fact, I find it most comfortable to wear sandals in the vehicle rather than closed toed shoes (unless I know I'm going to be doing some light hiking/walking as well).

There are lots of post here on camera equipment. Also in most of the gorilla trekking threads, there is specific advice about photographing gorillas which is in a very different environment from the other parts of your safari. How much do you want to spend? There's a current thread entitled 'best camera for under $500' or something like that.

I think sunglasses and hats are essential. What do you mean by casual clothing? Pretty much anything you would wear on safari would be considered casual clothing?

I would bring a combination of shorts and long pants and also short and long sleeve shirts as you'll experience a variation in temperatures. Plus you'll need long pants for your gorilla trek.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Take it all off! It's bloody hot there. Keep your hat on though - you don't want a bubbly nose do you
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:13 PM

If it is wet and muddy, Mitch and Rocco would agree that calls for pampers.