Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Predator Biologist disclosure (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/predator-biologist-disclosure-396509/)

PredatorBiologist Jul 16th, 2008 09:20 PM

Predator Biologist disclosure

I have officially opened a safari planning business. I know this is a sensitive subject and the consensus has been that Fodorites should disclose agent status, so I am making a one time announcement. In keeping with the no solicitation spirit, I have removed my email address and will not mention the name of my company on this board.

Basically two factors have led me along this path.

First, I have worked my way into a unique opportunity; to pursue my dream of doing cutting edge African predator research. This project could possibly lead to a dynamic new conservation tool that is critically needed for predator species worldwide. To perform this work that is staged in Botswana I have to give up most of my wildlife consulting business to invest time in this new endeavor. Unfortunately I cannot be available to be in the field in two such divergent locations so I had to choose.

Secondly, the word of mouth from my group trip leading business has been bringing me more people then I can lead. I have been missing out on income by advising them but then having them go to agents for booking. For my group trips I do everything an agent does and more so I know the business and I love planning trips. Before I had no financial incentive to make a job out of safari planning but now it is a chance for me to be able to afford to do two things that I am passionate about.

sallysaab Jul 16th, 2008 09:40 PM

Congratulations, hope things go well for you

Kavey Jul 16th, 2008 10:52 PM

Ditto, congrats and very best of luck. I hope you will still have time to post here and share your experiences and advice with us!

africaddict Jul 17th, 2008 12:10 AM

All the best Bill in your new venture!
You have a huge head start on most TA's, ie. your knowledge AND appreciation of African wildlife. ;-)

Cheers
Marc

Lillipets Jul 17th, 2008 02:32 AM

Congratulations on your new business. Reading your trip reports I always think to myself..."I want to go on a trip with you!" and I guess now I can!
How does one find out the name of your company?

star55 Jul 17th, 2008 03:36 AM

Lillipets, try googling 'bill given safari company'. I think I found it!

andybiggs Jul 17th, 2008 04:00 AM

Bill, good luck in your safari endeavor. I know that your customers will be in good hands. Hopefully we will meet up someday out in the bush.

Andy

shatila Jul 17th, 2008 04:26 AM

So just wondering why people need a foreigner (safari planner/photographer/researcher,...) to lead their trips if there are more than enough capable guides at those safari destinations.

Disclosing yourself is actually saying,on this forum I am not going to give any advice on camps anymore because people will think I am pursuing my business interests here. After all ethics are important in the safari industry, isn't it.

divewop Jul 17th, 2008 05:33 AM

Bill-
I wish you all the best in your new endeavors. A dream finally realized! =D>

For those interested, the name of the website is

www.thewildsource.com

and it's a pretty cool looking website.

The reason I know about the site is that Bill is a neighbor and good friend of mine. Other than that, there's nothing in it for me.

On a couple of related notes...

Firstly...Bill's birthday is tomorrow (Friday-18th) so...have a Happy Birthday! He's lucky enough to have been born on the same day as Nelson Mandela. Pretty cool!

Secondly...Bill and his wife Molly are expecting another "cub" sometime toward the end of Dec.
Congrats on the upcoming arrival of another member of the "Given" pride. I'm sure Leo will be happy to have a younger brother/ sister to play with! \:D/

Cheers,
Sandy

DonTopaz Jul 17th, 2008 06:07 AM

Thanks for the up-front disclosure, PredatorBiologist.

Your candor is in sharp and very welcome contrast to those who are connected to the safari travel business and who choose not to reveal their identities.

thit_cho Jul 17th, 2008 06:24 AM

Bill, congratulations, I'm sure it will be nice to combine vocation and avocation. Looking forward to your continued contributions to this forum.

sniktawk Jul 17th, 2008 06:25 AM

I went through the website early this morning, the most noticable characteristics are honesty and humour, something that is notably lacking elsewhere.
I wish Bill good luck, but I am sure he will not need it.

atravelynn Jul 17th, 2008 06:27 AM

Best of luck and happy birthday Bill!

cybor Jul 17th, 2008 06:37 AM

Congrats. to the busy guy,
X 3 for the 3 B's
Birthday, Baby and Business.

Will you still be leading trips?

mkhonzo Jul 17th, 2008 06:56 AM

Bill,

Keep at it and good luck. Our paths will cross once again.

Mkhonza

andybiggs Jul 17th, 2008 07:00 AM

Bill, congratulations on the upcoming arrival in December! Fantastic news. Our second child has caused me to evaluate how much time I spend away on safari, as I do not like being away from my family. I am sure you will go through the same evaluation at some point. I cannot wait until my two boys are old enough to be out on safari with me, so I can have the best of both worlds. Good luck with the balancing act. It isn't easy!

divine54 Jul 17th, 2008 08:13 AM

i wish you great success!
you can consider yourself outragously happy that you can work in the field you really love combining passion and profession!

div

lisa Jul 17th, 2008 09:00 AM

Congratulations on living the dream, Bill! I am green with envy. Wishing you much success, & hope you keep posting here.

Nyamera Jul 17th, 2008 09:17 AM

Congratulations!

Patty Jul 17th, 2008 11:32 AM

Happy birthday, congrats & best of luck!