Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   precision air baggage allowance on fllghts to Zanzibari (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/precision-air-baggage-allowance-on-fllghts-to-zanzibari-302217/)

ronaldmaurice Feb 10th, 2008 07:03 PM

precision air baggage allowance on fllghts to Zanzibari

their website does not make it clear if the limit is 15 or 20 kgs.Anyone have personal experience of their current policy and what they charge for excess baggage.

sandi Feb 11th, 2008 04:21 AM

Flying from mainland Tanzania to Zanzibar, limit is 15Kg/33-lbs. If flying country-to-country, i.e., from Kenya/Zanzibar, then 20Kg/44-lbs. Overweight charges are per Kg (2.2/lbs) and it's a small amount (a few dollars per kg).

capricorn_oz Feb 26th, 2008 03:03 PM

Another thing re: precision air -

The overhead lockers on these flights are quite small as it is a smaller plane. My day pack only just fit after much pushing to jam it in there. There is very little room to put your bag under your seat. There were lots of people on our flights with precision air that had ENORMOUS carry on! The flight attendants just took them and put them with the checked baggage up front.

We had no probs with luggage limits. Our main issue was waiting to check in at JRO and ZNZ as there never seemed to be anyone at the precision counters until an hour before. We were well and truely in "pole pole" mode by then so as with many things in Tanzania, you just have to wait! Was not particularly pleasant in stonetown middle of the day, but you get that!

Have a fantastic trip!

kevanF Mar 2nd, 2008 08:43 AM

We flew last summer from Kili to Zanzibar with precision air on a fairly large plane and had 20kgs allowance. However from Zanzibar to Dar on a much smaller plane we had only 15kgs. This was enforced and we were glad we reduced our luggage in Zanzibar. They did as we were a party of four allow us to pool our allowances.
Hope this helps.

Silivia Jun 11th, 2008 06:52 PM

Has anyone flown Precision Air in the last few months and is it still 15Kg/33lbs for mainland Tanzania flights?

I am flying ARK to ZNZ and then ZNZ to DAR.

If you are over the weight, do they make you unload and just leave stuff?

Or can you pay the price for the overweight bag? If yes, do you remember how much per Kg and was it payable is USD or did you need Shilling?

Is lightweight baggage with handles and wheels okay?

I'm in Europe for a while before this trip and my back can't handle a duffle.

Thank you for your assistance

swaledale Jun 12th, 2008 06:00 AM

Is the 15kg weight limit for hold baggage only ? Or is it 15kg for hold and hand baggage combined ?

swaledale Jun 12th, 2008 06:52 AM

Since posting I've checked Coastal website and 15kg is hold and hand combined. Camera equipment quite heavy so rethink needed !

Patty Jun 12th, 2008 11:18 AM

My experience with Coastal at DAR was that if you held on to your carry on, they didn't weigh it. But if you put your carry on next to your checked bag, they'll weigh it all together.

Silivia Jun 12th, 2008 04:43 PM

Oh boy - camera equipment and toiletries are 20 lbs; I bought light weight clothing, but not that light!! I may have to wear all my clothing and camera equipment so they don't get weighed!!

CarrieT Jun 19th, 2008 01:54 PM

Silivia, it's funny you should say that...I was thinking that very same thing. I bought one of those vests with all the pockets and I am amazed how much fits in there (over 3 pounds worth of toiletries and camera batteries!!). It's great! I also like it because it has the zipped pockets on the inside that I can use for my passport and cash.

Silivia Jun 20th, 2008 06:22 PM

That's awesome - I totally forgot about my safari vest. I can totally pack a good 20 pounds in that thing :)

I leave tomorrow and will be gone until June 10th so I'll have to let you know how it goes!!