Pre-book or just turn up? - in Marrakech

Nov 18th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Pre-book or just turn up? - in Marrakech

My wife & I fly to Agadir 22 Dec & have booked one night there. Next day we plan to go by bus to Marrakech and stay there for one or two nights. Should we book a hotel or riad now or is if safe to just turn up and find somewhere? Any experienced souls who'd like to share suggestions would be appreciated
Nov 18th, 2010, 07:39 AM

the rates you get charged when you 'just show up' are a lot higher than pre-booking rates most of the time....
Dec 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM

I've been looking online (for the same period), have found some availability but also a lot of place that are already booked up. A nice site I found is: http://www.fleewinter.co.uk/morocco/medina.php

I ended up going with Riad Darhani.
Dec 4th, 2010, 10:27 PM

Probably depends on how picky you are. We'd pre-booked a place we weren't at all happy with when we arrived. Enough so that it was the first time we decided to walk. We found something we liked within about 20 mins. But we're actually pretty flexible (no pool needed, not looking for luxury) usually. The main difference with your situation is that we were traveling in April, not the Christmas season. Not that Morocco is a Christmas destination, but I could see it being a time when Europeans could get away for a short break
Dec 6th, 2010, 02:22 AM

For your dates I would pre-book, although I walked on my pre-booked hotel too. The first place I tried was full, but someone there took me round the corner to another place - they charged the same rate as the place I had left, for a much nicer room, but that was the end of November, not the end of December.
Dec 6th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

We're not very "picky". For us, we mainly need somewhere to sleep for the night. Clean obviously, quiet, we normally head for the budget end of the market. Hostel with private ensuite would be fine, especially as they usually or always (?) include use of a kitchen
Dec 6th, 2010, 10:53 PM

Are there hostels in Morocco?
Dec 7th, 2010, 05:35 PM

We are leaving for Morocco on the 19th and had a hard time finding places in Marrakesh and other cities for the holidays.I was very surprised how many of the riads that got great ratings on Tripadvisor were booked up through Jan.10th. So I would definitely get something ahead of time.
Dec 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

There are certainly places in Marrakesh listed on all the main hostel websites, but a quick check shows they don't all have kitchens (which would have been our main reason for getting a hostel rather than a hotel). There seems to be some overlapping, for example some hostel sites also find hotels, guest houses, etc. I remember one website allows you to narrow your search to find only places with a kitchen (&/or other amenities) so I must try to find which sites do that.
Dec 8th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

"all the main hostel websites" - that is, the ones I have used: hostels.com, hostelz.com, hostelbookers.com, hostelworld.com; I'm sure there are lots more.