Pre-arranging tours in Vic Falls?

May 30th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Pre-arranging tours in Vic Falls?

Well, 5 days and counting before our departure on our Safari trip to SA/Vic/Bots. My question here is, do most of you pre-arrange your tours in Victoria Falls. My fiance' and I want to do the river cruise, Elephant Back Safari and a Helecopter ride in addition to seeing the falls. We will only have 2 nights to fit this into. Should I go ahead and make arrangements now, or will it be easy to arrange these tours with the tour desk at our lodge (Ilalla Lodge) when we get there.

Thanks for the help!!!

PiperPilot
May 31st, 2005, 09:47 AM

Arranging tours at the hotel should be no problem.

The advantages to waiting until arrival could be pricing, but I don't think there's much difference and you could ask specifically about price. You could also check out the weather upon arrival, but at this time of year there should be little rain, and weather can change from hour to hour. Finally, if you're not certain about what you want to do or how you'll feel, then waiting is a good strategy.

But you appear to be quite specific in the activites you want and your time frame is limited so I'd suggest to book them now to be sure you get them and avoid starting off the safari on a note of disappointment because the raft is full or the ele is booked.

I've done both pre-arranged and last minutes tours at Victoria Falls and both were good.

5 4 3 2 1 !!!
May 31st, 2005, 10:38 AM

atravelynn gives good advice, which may help the opposite situtation (overfilled trip) as well. When we were there, several tours were cancelled because not enough people had signed up.

The tour operator said if they didn't get enough advance bookings for some activities they didn't bother to get the equipment or guides together. So regardless of how many walk-up bookings they had, the trips didn't happen.
May 31st, 2005, 11:49 AM

Sounds like we are doing a very similar itinerary leaving in 2 1/2 weeks and we are even staying at Ilala Lodge. We definitely wanted to do the river cruise (at sunset) and the helicopter flight and booked them through our agent at go2africa. I'm still debating on the Elephant safari and might book that when I get there if it's avaiable. We keep adding things, so I don't know how tired I will be and don't want to overload things. Just added a shark cage dive out of Cape Town! Can't wait!

Search this Thread