Potential Trip to Dubai

Sep 18th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Potential Trip to Dubai

My previous travel plans have fell through and considering going to Dubai for Christmas, which is what I have done in the first place but what's done is done. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it, as the prices of flights are quite high. I would be flying out of Toronto (YYZ) departing around December 27 and staying for approximately two weeks so until January 10/11, 2019. I have never been to Dubai so this will be my first time, if I go. I take cannabis oil for a brain injury and medications for anxiety. I know that drugs are banned in Dubai, although they allow prescription medications but have read some horror stories and don't want to get arrested or go to jail. This scares me and is keeping me from wanting to go there. Do you think writing a letter to the Dubai embassy asking for permission to bring it with me will help?

I would like to ask you about the culture and rules/laws of Dubai. My mom is paranoid and nervous about me going due to arrests and tourist being jailed for ridiculous things. I'm feeling a little paranoid as well, since reading up on these arrests. It's very heart breaking. I feel horrible for these people. It seems that Dubai has a very archaic system, and wish that they would relax a little. So many innocent people have been affected and in most cases, it shouldn't have happened. A part of me feels like I don't want to go as it suggests that I am supporting them and agreeing with what they are doing to innocent people. I guess it's hard to get past some of these stories. Is there anything that I should be aware of and/or cautious? Can I hold hands with my SO in public and show affection or would we get arrested? If I decide to go, would you recommend an all inclusive, breakfast only hotel or Airbnb? Is it expensive to buy groceries or eat out?
I would appreciate any helpful, and positive feedback.
Thank you for your feedback.
Sep 18th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Here are a few of the sad stories that I read online about tourists being arrested and jailed:

Dubai: British tourist Jamie Harron sentenced to three months 'for accidentally touching a man's hip' in bar The Independent - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/mid…

Ridiculous reasons for being detained in Dubai https:/….9fct1

BBC NEWS | UK | Tourists warned of UAE drug laws

These stories make me feel nervous to go!����