Potential Problem w/ Kodak Gallery (Ofoto)

Dec 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Potential Problem w/ Kodak Gallery (Ofoto)

I have just received the following e-mail from Kodak Gallery. This comes after I have spent close to $500 on prints in the last couple months on prints of my last safari. Does the following message mean that I have been paying for images that were adversely affected as a result of the problem that Kodak Gallery is writing me about?

E-mail from Kodak Gallery:

Dear Gallery Premier Member,

Our records show that as a Gallery Premier subscriber, you have downloaded one or more of your high-resolution images using the “Download image” feature.

We are writing to let you know we recently discovered that our system is compressing your high-resolution images during the download process. Rest assured, the compression is happening only on the copy of the image that is downloaded. Your original jpeg image is stored on our servers safely, in its full sized form.

The compression may adversely affect image quality if you print the downloaded image using your home printer. For many images, the compression will have no impact on print quality. However, we are working hard to resolve this, so that you soon will be able to download your high-resolution image file uncompressed. We will inform you by email when uncompressed downloads become available, so that if you choose, you can download your images again. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Kodak EasyShare Gallery Customer Service Team
Dec 1st, 2005, 06:09 PM

sounds like only if you print them out at home they will be affected. from the looks of your pictures, if they are as great enlarged as they are on your gallery, i wouldn't worry. are you happy with the enlagements? that's all that matters.
Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:32 AM
sandi

Have to agree with Dennis. If you've printed out the images on your own printer and you're satisfied with the results - I wouldn't worry.

At least Kodak, realizing they had a problem advised clients, just in case; they're correcting on their end. None of this may have had any impact on your photos.

Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:44 AM

This shouldn't bother you at all. Actually it's a good thing. You should be printing photos on your home printer from the file stored on your computer - not from the Kodak copy. Your Kodak copies that you have up for other people to see should be resized to a smaller size before you send it - just to protect yourself. If someone else tries to download your photos from Kodak to print, they will get a smaller image that, hopefully, is too small to use for anything. I've heard of photographers finding their images copied onto t-shirts and bags etc and they are stolen off of web pages.

When you want Kodak to print pictures for you, send them the bigger files from your home computer. Or have a seperate Kodak album that isn't public with your larger size files.

Search this Thread