Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Posting mail responses (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/posting-mail-responses-381016/)

Selwyn_Davidowitz Dec 7th, 2003 11:36 AM

Posting mail responses

I think it is high time that someone at FODORS technical section posted a mail on the forum so as to tell us what is happening about posting of responses to mails. It is pretty obvious from the number of responses to mails as well as some of the mails that have slipped in that there is something dramtically wrong with the forum board when it comes to posting mails and as regular FODORITES if we knew what was happening it would help.

I for one am on the point of giving up on FODORS and moving on to another forum unless this is sorted out soon.

The manner in which it seems as if I can post mails to the board is by either starting a new thread or otherwise by using Netscape as a browser as opposed to Internet Explorer.
With that said if anyone is having similar problems simply try posting a new thread saying "me too" so as to show that the problem is a real one.

COULD WE PLEASE HAVE A RESPONSE FROM FODORS MANAGEMENT WITH REGARD TO THIS ALL!

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

Clematis Dec 7th, 2003 12:12 PM

testing - posting a reply via Internet Explorer.

uhoh_busted Dec 7th, 2003 12:14 PM

I don't seem to be having a problem, and I use Internet Explorer, and access either by a T1 line at work and DSL at home. Does that make a difference? Is Fodor's server somehow set differently that makes dial-up connections less likely to work?

NoFlyZone Dec 7th, 2003 01:12 PM

If you're reading this, IE 6 seems not to be a problem from here...

earlxx Dec 7th, 2003 03:33 PM

I am using dial-up connection and don't have ANY problem posting.

Kavey Dec 8th, 2003 12:04 AM

I agree the problems have been frustrating. I' ve not had any problems posting at all, throughout, and use IE6 at home and at client sites.

But we're all affected by the lack of coherence that occurs when messages/ replies about 1 topic are split across so many threads.

I am hoping that the recent down-time on the 7th December, for maintenance, will have resolved this problem.

Fingers crossed...

Kavey Dec 8th, 2003 12:06 AM

PS Selwyn

If you find another forum with similar functionality, please let us know.

I use Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum, to supplement information gathered here, but one of the biggest disadvantages there, as I recently learned, is that threads are not archived. Therefore, searches cannot pull out information posted previously.
Threads remain accessible whilst they are active and for only 4 weeks or so additional time after that.

Kavey

Roccco Dec 8th, 2003 05:19 AM

Kavey,

Besides threads being archived at Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree Forum, unless you are into camping, self-driving from country to country and very inexpensive lodging, then that forum does not have a lot to offer.

So far, this is the only forum that I have found of significant interest. I, too, would be thrilled if there was another forum out there that was nearly on the same level as Fodors.

Kavey Dec 8th, 2003 06:10 AM

Rocco

You're too quick to dismiss. :D

Posters on Thorn Tree have a wealth of information on travelling in Africa. Whilst I'd agree that much of it is of more relevance to budget travellers (it IS Lonely Planet's forum after all) there is definitely information there for non backpackers too.

The problem is that there is NO real archiving, hence one is constantly repeating questions without benefit of previous answers.

I would agree that if one is ONLY interested in the very expensive options one will find little. Even there, some posters on the forum have stayed in expensive places as well as travelled on budgets and can sometimes offer insight.

But there are certainly many posters who have a great deal of insight on mid range properties.

For example, our friend Thit-Cho, who posts here too and who, I believe, was the one who recommdended South Luangwa to you last year, posts reasonably frequently on Thorn Tree. As we know his experience is not only of budget travel. In fact, my impression is that he decides the budget according to what he wants to see and not the other way around - ie if he has to stay in basic places as the only way to see XYZ animal or experience ABC event, he will. If the best way of doing either is to pay more, he will.

Whilst I find that the Fodors board seems to be a natural filter in terms of income, resulting in a higher percentage of posters with similar budgets to my own, I still find useful information on Thorn Tree.

It supplements what I find here very well.

It's harder work to obtain it but it's unfair to dismiss it!

:D

Roccco Dec 8th, 2003 07:06 AM

So, Kavey, in other words I am an elitist *%*$*#??? ;)

Kavey Dec 8th, 2003 08:20 AM

He he he... you're putting words in my mouth! ;)

Actually, you're not - as is evidenced by your experience at and enjoyment of South Luangwe - it's not the price nor cachet but the experience that interests you. I think I'm right in that, yes?

I'm just nudging you to remember that advice and how you might have missed it had you stuck more rigidly to only the very expensive/ conde naste recommendations!

I absolutely agree with you that, for high budget travel, this board has way more like-minded travellers and hence more useful advice.

I'd merely suggest not dismissing Thorn Tree completely!

thit_cho Dec 8th, 2003 08:52 AM

Kavey, I agree with you that Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree is very helpful, and I've resorted to it often to help planning trips. While I prefer to stay in the top places, some cities/countries/national parks simply do not have high quality lodgings. I'll give you an example.

This Christmas, my girlfriend and I are visiting the Galapagos and we've secured a suite on one of the best boats (who knows which boat is actually the ver best), but I selected my ship based on its itinerary. That is, I knew which islands I wanted to visit and I selected the best boat that went to those islands. I think there are some equally good boats that go to other islands, but destination was most important.

On the other extreme, a few years ago I was in Indonesia on business and was able to make several weekend trips. The first was to Bali where we stayed at the then newly opened Ritz Carlton (it was OK, not great). The second weekend trip was to Komodo Island where I slept in a $5 per night shack, which was the only available accomodation. I would trade 100 nights at the Ritz Carlton in Bali for one in Komodo, which is one of the world's great wildlife destinations.

So, I generally use LP's Thorn Tree for help in deciding where to go, what to see, what's fun to do, but I rely on guidebooks and magazines for hotels, and I rely on Mark Nolting's book for Africa.

Kavey Dec 8th, 2003 12:03 PM

Michael, yes I kind of imagined as much - hope you will forgive my using you as an example!

For my upcoming trip we're spending 5 weeks on a budget (for us) self drive of SA before a luxury trip back to Botswana and Namibia.

I'm getting some wonderful information from our Fodors experts right here but have also received some answers I didn't get here by posting on Thorn Tree.

Basically, I try and use as diverse a range of (useful) resources as possible to get as rounded a picture as I can.

I've put the book you recommended on my Xmas list!

Kavey Dec 8th, 2003 01:04 PM

Crumbs, this site is down and then up and then down and then up - it's like a yoyo! It changes from minute to minute and a hard refresh doesn't help either. I know it's not my PC/ software but am wondering whether it's my ISP or whether everyone is still experiencing this?

thit_cho Dec 8th, 2003 01:12 PM

I've received a few announcements that they are working on the site, so its not only you. But the message indicated that the work was to be done yesterday.

Kavey Dec 9th, 2003 03:09 AM

Ditto

Clematis Dec 9th, 2003 09:01 PM

Still able to respond... I like the information at Thorn Tree. That's where I discovered there was a hotel in the J'burg airport.

What I don't like is the way the posts are organized. I find the Fodor board very easy to navigate. And yeah, the archiving is quite valuable.

BTW, some company came out with binocs that have a camera too. Perfect for Africa except that the camera's tech specs aren't as good as if you brought a separate cam and binocs.