possible to camp instead of lodge?

Jun 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

possible to camp instead of lodge?

Hi, im wondering if i could ask my tour operator to change some nights of staying at lodges to just camping so i can save some money? Thanks for advice!
Jun 18th, 2007, 06:53 PM

where are you going and are there campgrounds in the area? with camping you might not get a guide included and would pay extra for that, park fees, meals etc. etc.
Jun 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

woops, i forgot it doesnt even say where im goin! ill be in kenya and tanzania. Im going to be with a tour company and i want to ask them to change some of the accommodation to camps instead of lodges, but i wanted to check here to see if thats possible.
Jun 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Yes, you can do a mixed camping/lodge safari.Your tour operator can provide a cook who will travel with you (in addition to your driver/guide) for the camping portion(s).
Jun 18th, 2007, 08:52 PM

Patty's right. I was thinking of something else. In Zambia they have camping "lodges" such as Flatdog's where you can camp and everything is extra. Wasn't thinking of a camping safari....sorry!
Jun 19th, 2007, 04:20 AM

You can certainly add tent camps to your lodge itinerary and still have the same guide/vehicle. If you're referring to "camping" where tents are set up for you, I feel the options are better in Tanzania, where these can be luxury tents or semi-lux camping using domed tents, with cots/linens or mattresses/sleeping bags; with separate tent for loo and another for shower, with a small covered dining area. You're provided a cook to handle preparation of your meals.

Your guide/driver and cook will handle the set-up/break-down of the tents. You can help, if you wish, unless you get in their way.

These "camping" options can get set up on public or private camping sites... so ascertain what/where you'll be set up.

The luxury tents would add to your budget; semi-lux camping, if divided by 2+/pax, can same a few dollars.

Inquire and see what prices you get.
Jun 19th, 2007, 08:52 AM
aby

Hi jenbertoni

Do you mean real camping ?
It is also possible & i can give you a tip: some companies have permanent tents at major parks. they have cooks stationed there (so you don't need to travel around with a cook throughout)
it is possible to use these campsites, especially if your company operates one.

i'm talking about real basic camping, sometimes without running water, etc'
it is cheap (& it's an experience)

another, easier option, is to take a few days of a camping tour & than add lodges as a finale...
http://www.gametrackersafaris.com/
is a good company for caming tours

Jun 19th, 2007, 10:04 AM

We did a budget camping/lodge combo on our first trip to Tanzania. It was fun and inexpensive. Ask your operator, or perhaps contact the operator Aby suggests. We used Easy Travel and Tours out of Arusha. You could also contact them; ask to speak with Yvette, and request the wonderful!!! Adrian as your guide if you do.

I saw your itinerary post, but I don't know much about Kenya, so I can't reallya dvise you whether it's a "good" or "fairly priced" safari or not.

Have a great trip!