Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Port Elizabeth to Kruger N/P ~best driving route to take?

Port Elizabeth to Kruger N/P ~best driving route to take?

Nov 13th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Port Elizabeth to Kruger N/P ~best driving route to take?

I am in the early planning stages of my South African adventure and need some help. I had previously intended to fly from PE to Johannesburg ( after 14 days or so around Cape Town/ Garden Route) and get to Kruger from there but have been thinking that perhaps a road trip would be more satisfying.

Would driving this leg be an option and if so, how long should we allow for the drive ... bearing in mind that the shorter the route, the better.

Any advice much appreciated.

Christa
Nov 14th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Christa
That is a long haul. You have many options, the most scenic being the longer route up the wild coast through the transkei area and kwz-zulu natal then through swaziland out via Nelspruit and into the southern kruger.

The alternate shorter route is through Graaf Reniet, JNB and down the escarpment through Nelspruit (or Barberton) and into the kruger. The latter can be done in a day , BUT it is about 14 hours od driving.

I would suggest breaking the journey after twelve hours allowing you a morning drive into the kruger itself.

Perhaps it would be more sensible to fly into JNB from PE, rent a car from their and drive for 5 hours into the kruger
Nov 14th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Another option might be to fly from PE to Durban and then drive around KZN (taking in St Lucia town and surrounding wetlands, the coast itself, Hluhluwe Imfolozi) and then northwards taking in Ithala and perhaps Ndumo before continuing north to Kruger either via Swaziland (as we did) or around it.
We took 17 days from Durban to Jo'burg and loved it!
Nov 14th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the infomation mkhonzo and Kavey. This has given me much food for thought. I will get my maps out and have another look at my options.

Cheers,
Christa

Search this Thread