Point & Shoot camera for safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have some recommendations on point & shoot cameras that would be good on safari.

Nothing too bulky or that needs a lot of fiddling with prior to taking the photo. (Would hate for that lion to get away while I'm figuring out f stops!!)

Something light, manageable and reasonably priced for a novice photographer with a good eye.

Thanks
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:44 PM

Hi KathBC, you know my recommendation - Canon SX10 Though you might need to go with a newer model....
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM

You're looking for either a "compact super zoom" camera or a "super zoom" camera.
The top camera gear web site dpreview.com did a group test of cameras for both types.
For compact super zooms the link is -
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/
Ranked tops were Sony HX5 and Casio FH100

For somewhat larger super zoom cameras the link is -
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q110superzoomgroup/
Ranked tops were Canon SX20IS and Panasonic FZ35

However the manufactures change model number every year so if you like one in particular you may have to find the latest model number. They typically follow a naming pattern/scheme of sorts. Like renoduck's Canon SX10 became the SX20 and is now SX30. Though you may still find all three for sale.

regards - tom
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 07:47 PM

I would go to your camera shop or where ever and get the Canon point and shoot with the largest zoom you can get.

The SX 200 has a 12 zoom but over the past 8 months perhaps another model came out with even a large zoom

I am talking about Optical zoom....... forget the Digital Zoom.

Also forget about the number of megapixels. Just concentrate on the zoom amount.

I took my Point and Shoot ( Phd camera!!) Canon with a 12 zoom last year and did fine...of course my friend had a camcorder with 120 zoom !!

So between the two of use we did just fine.

I did of course first buy a "larger" canon with a 20 Optical zoom but I did not like the "bulkiness " of it ...so I returned it and got the nice small size point and shoot.

I like my small point and shoot and I took nice movies with it also.

I call it my PHD camera !!!

Tom gave you some good websites......... but you know

if you are like me , the more I read the more confused I get.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 10:06 PM

Check out this thread still up here - "New non-SLR safari camera "
Also, at least a couple of others here have recently been through the same camera hunt. They may chime in and/or you could do some searching here this forum within the last 6 months.

regards - tom
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 05:26 AM

Yes, I know you are looking for recommendations for a point and shoot, but why wouldn't you consider a SLR? The consumer SLR are relatively small and light, priced very close to a p+s, plus they have numerous advantages over the p+s cameras:
- much quicker start-up and reaction to shutter release
- much more control
- far better quality lens
- interchangeable lenses
- upgradeable
- far more features for when you do become experienced
- and one of the biggest advantages is sensor size, the APS-C sensor (not even full frame), is far larger than any p+s, giving far greater quality photos.

I recommend Canon or Nikon, the Canon XS or Nikon 3000 are very close in size, weight, and price to the higher end p+s.

SLR cameras have automatic settings and pop-up flashes (again, better than p+s flashes) for novices, then will allow you to shoot fully manually once you get some experience.

Regardless of your decision, good luck and I hope you make some great photos.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 06:38 AM

I've used a Fuji P&S, looks and acts very much like a DSLR, but isn't. Had my first in'05 with 10X Zoom, and upgraded in'08 to my current one is 18X Zoom - both are "idiot proof".

Price is also right, at about $200. I actually take both with me, just in case; also have a small Canon which fits in my pocket... also a P&S, but only 8X which is more than enough for most situations.

Good luck!
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the suggestions and pointing me in the right direction.

Must say so far haven't been successful with any attempts at searches on this forum. Is there a trick to it?

Renoduck I've been very impresssed with your photos but was hoping to find a camera for a slightly lower price since it would really only be used for 3 weeks, other than the odd time stalking Bruce Springsteen

sandi what model was your Canon 18x?
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 01:57 PM

KathBC - You just made me go look for the camera...

Fuji 8000. Bought 2/yrs ago, so they may already have a newer model, with greater zoom (w/stabilization).

Check out the B&H Camera site... they have everything, for the latest on this brand or others that might strike your fancy. B&H pricing is very competitive. Good luck!
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Oops sorry sandi didn't realize you were writing about 2 diff cameras!!

Geez no kidding I'm so not a photographer...don't even know the difference between Fuji & Canon!!! lolol
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 03:07 PM

"Must say so far haven't been successful with any attempts at searches on this forum. Is there a trick to it? "

Yeah, it seems to be crazy sometimes. I have best luck using the "Advanced search". But I still don't trust it. On occasion I know about the post but "search" doesn't find it.

regards - tom
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM

I'm no whiz when it comes to cameras. It's gotta be "idiot proof" - just set on automatic and click away.

It's my small/pocket camera that is a Canon; others (10X and 18X) are both Fuji.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Yep my camera would also need to be a point & shoot idiot proof!

tom I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having problems with searches. Will keep trying.

Sounds like a trip to the local camera shop will be in order. Have actually seen a couple used Canon SX10 IS on craigslist for under $300, people wanting to move up. Might consider this if a receipt can be produced confirming it didn't fall off a truck.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM

In case any of you wanted to find the last thread on cameras, it was started by ElizabethJ and the last post was on August 25. I found it but I do not know all the rules on Fodor's so I was hesitant to bring it up again.

Happy travels!
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM

for your best trip in African Safari go to http://www.africansafarisupport.com/ for more details in your trip and for camera that best shoots your lion is the canon powershot or go to http://www.canon.com for more details on camera that you to use during your trip...

Have a wonderful trip....
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM

SB101 - why would I be impressed with and consider the recommendations of a poster who does not know what words to capitalize and use simple sentence punctuation?

regards - tom
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

sylbea thanks so much for the info on ElizabethJ's thread, while using tom's search advice I actually found it!!
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 06:36 PM

sandi

I was wondering about that x18 zoom on a Canon. I thought a new one came out ,but now I see that it is a Fuji you have!!

My Canon is x12 ,I am waiting for a pocket size one to come out in x 20.

I am no camera expert by along shot that is why it has to be a PHD camera.

I double checked my punctuation and capitalization..... don't want to get heck from tom ,or is it Tom !
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 07:20 PM

KBC - glad you got the search to work for you

Percy - You're doing fine, give you an A-. Not "A" because you missed the "," placement above "out ,but". I should talk, I'm sure my grammar and word usage is just so-so, and thank God for spell checker. It's that sometimes some posters don't really seem to care about their audience. "Tom or tom", "regards - tom", we've been around over that before and I like it as is, sort of my sig line. Call me anything but don't call me late for dinner!!!!

regards - tom
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:44 AM

okay tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -