Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > PLEASE: Need some advice re Botswana itinerary for May-June

PLEASE: Need some advice re Botswana itinerary for May-June

Mar 9th, 2012, 08:37 AM
wj1
Original Poster

PLEASE: Need some advice re Botswana itinerary for May-June

We've made the decision to go to Botswana in 2013. We are fortunate that we have a lot of flexibility as to which month we can take our trip. However, sometimes a lot of flexibility can lead to indecisiveness and a huge headache. So far I've ruled out October and November as being too hot. Our travel agent proposed two itineraries:

Shoulder season (which we would try to do in May or June):
Tubu Tree--3 nights
Chitabe Lebida--3 nights
Duma Tau--3 nights
Victoria Falls Hotel--2 nights

Green Season (which we would try to do in March):
Duma Tau--3 nights
Tubu Tree--3 nights
Nxani Pan--3 nights
Vic Falls Hotel--2 nights

So do you think the camps match up with the seasons and give us a good variety of experiences? Assuming that the prices are the same (which of course they aren't), should we go with the Shoulder Season itinerary? Or should we just bite the bullet and go during high season?

This will be my husband's first African safari and my second. I previously traveled to Kenya. We would like to take good photos but are by no means serious photographers. I think we are mostly looking for wonderful memories and experiences.

Thanks in advance.
Mar 9th, 2012, 05:52 PM

I like #1. If I were to go in March, and I hope to one of these years, I'd have Kwara in the mix.

Check out this recent report that begins…
http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...een-season.cfm

“I have just returned from a short Botswana Green season safari- we were at three camps for 8 days, Kwara/Little Kwara and Duba Plains.”

I’d have one of the Kwaras and I’d try Duba too because of the young buffalo at that time of year—March.

Since you are considering May or June and mention the desire for better pricing, find out the cutoff when prices change for the high season and perhaps go just prior to that.

Search this Thread