Please help with my Tanzania packing list!

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with my Tanzania packing list!

Oh yikes! The big day is getting closer. Eight more days. Following is my packing list. I know that I'm forgetting something (or maybe overpacking?). I'd appreciate advice. Thank you!!!

TANZANIA PACKING LIST

Documents and Paperwork:
• Passports
• Tickets
• Shot records
• Travel insurance info packet
• Itinerary
• Copies of prescriptions or labels from original container
• Contact numbers for credit cards
• Hotel confirmations
• Copies of passport, tickets, shots

Toiletries, personal items, etc.:
• Regular meds including pain killer in case knee acts up
• Malarone, Cipro, Pepto, AlkaSelzer, Benadryl
• Sunscreen
• Deet
• Lipbalm
• Anti-itch cream
• Purell
• Handiwipes
• Shampoo & cream rinse
• Toothbrush & toothpaste
• Body lotion
• Hair brush
• Razor & shaving cream
• Kleenex packs
• Shower cap
• Laundry detergent

Clothing:
• Underwear: underpants, bras, socks
• Sleepwear
• Jacket
• Safari vest
• Sandals and flip-flops
• Sun visor/hat
• Bandanas
• Swimsuit
• Umbrella
• 3 pair long pants (1 pair are zip legs)
• 4 tee shirts (3 short sleeved, 1 long sleeved)
• 3 long sleeved “overshirts”
• 1 nicer evening slacks & shirt

Miscellaneous:
• Cameras & equipment – including extra batteries, memory cards, chargers
• Binoculars
• Extra glasses
• Around the neck cord for glasses
• Cash
• Converter plugs
• Flashlights, small mini
• Extra batteries for flashlights
• Reading light
• Addresses
• Journal & pens
• Travel clock with fresh batteries!
• Electronic translator/currency converter
• Books – novel, wildlife
• Envelopes for tips
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:40 PM

Nevermind,
Remind me again what your itinerary is and how long for? (Sorry to have to ask!)

I'm not sure if you have one but one thing I absolutely could not have lived without was a cleaning pen for the lense of my camera - a lifesaver!

The other thing we absolutely could not have done without was a travel wallet that had a neck tie AND belt option and it folded to to a regular sized wallet.

Imelda
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:49 PM

nevermind,
I forgot eye drops for the dust and, boy, was I sorry! Also, I got a little sick and actually took some Immodium this last trip--was glad I had it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:53 PM

Yep, I second that Immodium or something similar - hubby was definately glad it was in our medicine bag!!

Imelda
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
sandi

With the new rules, those scripted meds better be in the original bottles with name matching that of your airline ticket/passport. And do not pack in your checked luggage.

Guess the days of putting all the pills in one container is gone... for now. Who knows what next week will bring.

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

OnlyMeOirish, we'll be in Tanzania 10 days. We'll be at Tarangire, the Ngorongoro Crater, and the eastern & western corridors of the Serengeti. Most accommodations will be Serena properties, with the Kirawira Camp being one of the stops (I'm looking forward to that one!!). Thanks for reminding me of the cleaning pen for the lens of the cameras. Someone else had mentioned that a couple of months ago, when I was trying to decide what camera to take but I somehow lost track of the thread. It is now on my shopping list & packing list.

Leely, eyedrops have made their way onto my packing list. Believe it or not, I'm not familiar with immodium. Is it stronger than Pepto Bismal?

Sandi, I was hoping to not need to pack the original bottles for meds because they are so bulky, but you have such a good point. I think I'll take the original bottles, then throw them out at the very end of the trip. Makes more room for souvenirs!!

I really appreciate that you all are taking the time to consider my list. I'm so excited. Making lists is helping to keep me grounded!!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:57 PM

So glad your up for the trip and your injury is better.
Immodium is better than that slimey pink stuff for lower GI distress. If you need to take it, make sure you drink lots of H2O as it dehydrates.
Your list looks pretty good - just wondering though
what you'll be wearing for shoes - do you have a closed shoe or hiker - good for airport or African hikes. Also do you have a little Swahili language book? If you can, scan and email copies of all your travel and perscription data to yourself just in case.
Happy travels!
Sherry
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sherry,

I'll be wearing New Balance running shoes. Not much of a fashion statement, but they offer me comfort and the support that I need for my knee.

I guess I'll add imodium to my shopping list. Getting a Swahili phrase book had been on my list, but in the distraction of the past couple of months with my knee, it fell by the wayside. I wish I'd ordered one when I first thought of it. I'm afraid I don't have enough time to order one now.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I can't believe that in less than two weeks I'll be in AFRICA!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:53 AM

I don't think you will find a use for the umbrella, most camps have them. In the event of rain and you might do better with a cheap-o stuffable raincoat or poncho.
I would replace one of the long sleeve overshirts with a thin sweater, particularly for dining that is outdoors in the evening -- it's a little too cool for just an overshirt and yet you don't want to eat dinner in your fleece.
If I count correctly, you have 4 pairs of pants (3+1 evening). Does that include what you will wear on the plane? Not to micro-manage, but I don't think you need 5 or even 4 pairs of pants for 10 days.
Consider an extra bag that you can stuff into your luggage and use for souvenirs.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Earplugs?
Sunglasses?

My mom wishes she had taken a fly swatter to deal with the tse-tse flies.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM

my basic rule these days is to forget taking the credit card numbers (too much risk)of your losing the paper and creating other issues.

Instead E-MAIL them to yourself. If you are in the wild and they are stolen, you ain't gonna be able to do much anyway. And if you are in a city, you almost certainly will be able to get e-mail access.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Lifelist, I've added sunglasses to the list. I had thought "Well, of course I won't forget my sunglasses", but lo and behold - today I found myself 60 miles from home with my sunglasses, but had left my untinted glasses at home. It made me realize how easy it is to make a silly mistake. I'll put everything I can think of on the list. I don't use earplugs, so will leave them off!

Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM
nkh

The list seems good. The closed-toe shoes, sunglasses and waterproof jacket were also points I had noticed. I agree about the umbrella and maybe too many pairs of pants. I also am not sure if you would need the flipflops - you can wear the sandals around where you are staying and will probably want the running shoes most of the time.
Two suggestions:

A supply of small ziplock bags - they keep out dust, can be used for exposed film (or unexposed!) as well as many other things including being stuffed with something to serve as a camera-stabilizing beanbag and containing toiletries so they don't explode in luggage etc.

A marker (e.g. Sharpie marker) - we wrote numbers on our film cannisters and then noted the days we had used them in our journals. We didnt use the numbers in order, just kept a record of order to correlate to the trip. When you have lots of film developed and it all has landscape, animals etc. on it, it REALLY helps organize to be able to reference the journal and determine which film came from which day!

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Oh my -- I'm getting more excited by the minute. I'm also feeling overwhelmed! I really appreciate those of you who are taking the time to help me fine tune my packing. You keep mentioning things I haven't thought of, or things that keep floating around in my head, but I haven't put on the list. I'll work on the list again right now. The umbrella is off, water-resistant windbreaker is on, as are plastic baggies and a couple of Sharpies for labeling .

I'm worried about the pants issue. If we're only staying 2 nights in each place, is that time enough to get laundry done? Can I wear the same clothes I wear on the game drives to dinner, or do I need something nicer?

I've been watching the weather reports for Arusha daily. Can I expect the weather to be similar in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater?

Again, I thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I'm so nervous, scared, and excited!

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM

I just returned from Safari in Tanzania, so maybe I can help.

I found the weather in Arusha, Lake Manyara, Tarangire and Ngorongoro Crater to be somewhat cool. I wore and kept on long pants, shirts, sneakers with socks and sometimes a jacket all the days I was in these areas.

In the Serengeti I found the weather to be much warmer, especially during the mid day. I wore capris/shorts, short sleeved shirts and sandals for all the days in the Serengeti.

I brought 4 pairs of pants with me and wore all of them. It was just so dusty, that I thought my clothes were just disgusting after being out all day on game drives. I washed all my pants at least once as well.

Jenn
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I don't think you'll need the nicer evening wear...you're on safari, after all. I think you could use that space for other things...souvenirs, etc. Others have mentioned eye drops, which is a good idea. Consider taking a saline nasal spray, as well. I take bubble wrap and some packing tape (wrap it around a pencil stub or something similar.)You can use it to pack your purchases for the trip home. You mentioned addresses; what I do is create mailing labels for postcards that I plan to send, a real time-saver.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Nevermind, You lucky duck, off to Tanzania - leave your umbrella, yes to the heavier sweater or sweatshirt for evening. Take a scarf or chachi brooch to dress up a shirt for evening. Someone once posted to take things you can wash easily, and we did that frequently and were fine. When our laundry soap ran out, we used shampoo. If you're moving every couple nights, you don't necessarily have time for the camp to wash and dry your laundry, even if the service is available. I took a new white t shirt which ended up trashed from hanging on dirty tent ropes - it's now my Africa shirt! As for Immodium, try to find some - it's specific for its purpose - we found ourselves using the whole box the first 4-5 days until our systems adjusted, and we're pretty sturdy travelers. Body lotion might also be one to leave at home, scents attract flying things. Have a fabulous time!!! Deb
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

You all are awesome with your suggestions and your patience. I'm in the obsessing stage right now, which is probably pretty annoying to everyone but me... Well, come to think of it, I'm even annoying myself!

Africa is constantly on my mind. Fortunately our daughter & son-in-law are bringing our little 2 year old grandson for a visit this weekend, which should help the time to pass!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 10:19 AM

The one thing I wish I had brought was an extra toothbrush. It just never feels like you can get it clean without running it under water.

Have a wonderful trip!

Cyn
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Sorry - I seem to be on a dental kick here, but also - don't forget the floss!

Cyn