Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Wilderness Safaris Zambian Camps Announcement!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You heard it here first...Lunga River Lodge and Busanga Bush Camp in Kafue have been acquired by Wilderness Safaris. I speculated as much publicly after not getting any response from these camps over the last couple weeks.

More camps!!!

Nkondo Fly Camp will also open with 3 small meru-style tents.

These will be followed in July by the opening of Shumba Bush Camp and Kapinga Bush Camp.

Finally, 2007 will see the opening of Ntemwa, a 24-bed luxury lodge in a private concession. Ntemwa will overlook the permanent pools of the Ntemwa River, inhabited by hundreds of hippo.

Activities include walking safaris, game drives, canoeing, river cruising, and fishing. Experienced Zambian guides have been selected and will undergo intensive Wilderness Safaris training prior to opening.

Looks like Wilderness will get settled into Kafue before expanding elsewhere into Zambia. This is excellent news for Zambia and should have wide reaching effects on both Lower Zambezi and South Luangwa as tourists become more curious about Zambia as a whole. This in turn will hopefully prompt more visitors to North Luangwa, Liuwa Plains and Kasanka.

FANTASTIQUE!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

If anyone would like a copy of the official announcement, feel free to e-mail me and I will be happy to forward you a copy.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:30 AM

Rocco, please send me the official announcement. I would be intersted in returning to Zambia, and in particular Kafue, especially if I can figure out how to visit the parks in eastern Angola. I would like to see the Giant Sable, a few of which are left in Angola, and I'm doing a bit of research on the less-visited safari destinations (Angola, Gabon, Central African Republic, Cameroon).
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Michael,

Okay, I have forwarded you the e-mail.

I will enquire about pricing, exact opening dates, etc.

Now, I wonder since these camps previously used the guide & tracker system, if Wilderness will deviate from its current policy and at least offer the guide & tracker in Zambia?

More details as they become available.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:36 AM

Thanks, very interesting, and will make it much more likely that I'll visit Kafue.

Fyi, yahoo e-mail is dumping you into bulk mail (ie, junk email). You may need a destinyafrica.com domain so that your emails aren't inadvertantly deleted.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:18 PM
santharamhari

Thanks Rocco,

Wow!!! Wilderness in Kafue!!! Pl.lemme know about prices. I would be eager to combine Luangwa River Lodge and Kafue park.........

Wilderness does'nt have a tracker even in a camp like Mombo.......on my trip in 2004, we just had Brooks who is one of the best guides i've ever had!!! He did all the driving and tracking......in 3 nights there...i saw more active leopards in the day time, than i've encountered in the Sabi Sands.