Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > please help-dividing it into two trips-king, jan, liz et al.

please help-dividing it into two trips-king, jan, liz et al.

May 8th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

please help-dividing it into two trips-king, jan, liz et al.

What might be the way to divide this trip into two trips? I definitely want to keep costs down as low as possible, staying at less epensive places when possible if the experience is still good. I'd rather eat on paper plates to see Limoges scenery. One tour operator told me that wasn't possible. Hmmmm. I find that hard to beleive.

Maybe you clever and experienced folks have some ideas how to reduce the price. I'm thinking of doing the uganda/gorilla bit on a separate trip. (mainly because I found out kids have to be 16 to go see the gorillas)

I copied in my latest greatest itenerary below- where King offered comments in CAPS. I'd dearly love your feedback. Thank You

Author: king
Date: 04/08/2003, 10:58 am

Message: So, the trip is slowly taking shape. This is what I have so far-

arrive in Nairobi

Stay at the Lewa Wildlife conservancy - two nights I guess - and see the rhinos U NEED TO OVERNIGHT IN NAIROBI BEFORE FLYING TO LEWA

At some time go to Uganda - Kibale forest - Stay in Ndal Lodge three nights - make one track to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest to see the gorillas, make a second day treck to see the chimpanzees,
Sometime while here go to visit Ruwenzoori and Queen Elizabeth National Park.
U NEED TO OVERNIGHT IN ENTEBEE BEFORE DRIVING TO KIBALI. BWINDI IS IN A DIFFERENT ARE AND TO GET THERE FROM KIBALE WOULD TAKE ALMOST 7 TO 8 HRS VIA QUEEN ELIZABETH NATIONAL PARK. YOU WILL THEN HAVE TO OVERNIGHT IN BWINDI TO DO THE GORILLA TREK THE FOLLOWING DAY. SO THE UGANDA PLAN WOULD HAVE TO BE:

DAY 1 - ENTEBEE
DAY 2,3,4 - KIBALE, STAYING AT NDALI LODGE
DAY 5 - BWINDI VIA QUEEN ELIZABETH NP (COULD SPEND A NT IN QE PARK)
DAY 6 - BWINDI GORILLA TREK
DAY 7 - SPEND 2 MORE DAYS AT BWINDI AND DO ANOTHER TREK OR RETURN TO ENTEBEE AND FLY OUT

Some time in Kenya - see the flamingos - not sure how to plan this - but try to visit - Lakes Elmentaita, Nakuru, Bogoria, Magadi or possibly hold out to see them in:
COMBINE WITH LEWA

DAY 1 - NAIROBI
DAY 2,3,4 - FLY TO LEWA. SPEND 3 NTS AT LEWA AS IT IS LOVELY. SPEND 2 NTS AS LEWA TENTED CAMP AS CHEAPER AND ONE NIGHT AT WILDERNESS (ONLY 30 TO 40 MINS FROM LEWA TENTED CAMP)
DAY 5 - RETURN TO NAIROBI AND THEN DRIVE TO LAKE NAKURU TO SEE FLAMINGO AND RHINO. STAY IN LAKE NAKURU.
DAY 6,7,8 - DRIVE OR FLY TO MASAI MARA
DAY 9 - RETURN TO NAIROBI
DAY 10,11 - DRIVE TO SHOMPOLE LODGE AND STAY THERE FOR 2 NTS AND SEE IF YOU CAN VISIT LAKE MAGADI - SPECTACULAR. SPEND AN EXTRA NIGHT THERE IF YOU ALSO WISH TO VISIT LAKE NATRON. NOT MANY PEOPLE DO THIS SO YOU WOULD BE ONE OF THE PRIVILEGED FEW.
DAY 12 - RETURN TO NAIROBI AND DRIVE TO AMBOSELI (LONG DRIVE OF APPROX 7 TO 8 HRS. STAY AT OL TUKAI LODGE OR AMBOSELI SERENA OR TORTILIS CAMP
DAY 13 - AMBOSELI
DAY 14 - GO TO TANZANIA OR RETURN TO NAIROBI

Tanzania - at the Lakes Natron, Manyara, Ndutu, Lake Magadi inside Ngorongoro crater.
In Tanzania, I want to definitely see the Ngorongoro crater - so maybe see the flamingos there. Stay there for two nights I guess. Or should it be three?
DAY 1 - ARRIVE IN ARUSHA
DAY 2 - DRIVE TO NGORONGORO CRATER VIA LAKE MANYARA. DO A GAME DRIVE IN LAKE MANYARA IN THE MORNING (L. MANYARA IS ONLY 90 MINS FROM ARUSHA).
DAY 3 - NGORONGORO CRATER GAME DRIVE
DAY 4,5,6,7 - NDUTU LODGE (FROM JAN TO MARCH, SERENA LODGE (FROM APRIL TO JUNE), GRUMETI CAMP OR SERONERA LODGE(JUNE TO JULY), MIGRATION CAMP(OCTOBER TO DEC).
DAY 8 - FLY BACK TO ARUSHA AND EXTEND TO SELOUS TO KATAVI OR MAHALE MTS OR DRIVE TO LAKE MANYARA AND SPEND A NIGHT AT LAKE MANYARA.

LAKE NATRON CAN BE DONE BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO CAMP. SEE IF YOU CAN COVER IT WHILE AT SHOMPOLE IN KENYA - http://www.shompole.com/details.htm.
IF YOU DON'T MIND CAMPING THEN LOOK AT www.africanlatitude.com WHICH OFFERS NON-PARTICIPATION CAMPING TRIPS TO LAKE NATRON.

Author: king
Date: 04/08/2003, 11:00 am

Stay at the River Club - what country is this in? Do a sunset cruise.
MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN AFRICA. IT IS IN ZAMBIA 18KM UPSTREAM OF VIC FALLS. I COULD SPEND DAYS HERE INSTEAD OF ON THE BEACH. YOU CAN COMBINE THIS WITH VIC FALLS, BOTSWANA OR ZAMBIA WILDLIFE PARKS.

Go to Amboseli to see the elephants - where do I stay and for how long?
DO IT ON YOUR KENYA TRIP

Oh and can't forget the ballon ride somewhere.
DO IT IN MARA (AVAILABLE ALMOST ANYWHERE BUT THE BEST ONE I HAVE DONE SO FAR IS THE GOVERNOR'S ONE).
YOU CAN ALSO DO THIS IN THE SERENGETI BUT WILL HAVE TO STAY AT SOPA OR SERENA LODGES.

Regarding the Rift Valley- how does one experience it best - stay where? view it from what vantage point? any ideas?
SHOMPOLE AND MUKUTAN RETREAT

Stay at Rekero - Masai Mara - I guess for three nights (or four?).
STAY AT THE REKERO TENTED CAMP FOR 2NTS AND 2NTS AT REKERO FARM. DURING MIGRATION TIME BETWEEN JULY AND SEPTEMBER STAY ALL NIGHTS (4 TO 6 MINIMUM) AT REKERO TENTED CAMP, THAT IS IF YOU CAN GET ANY SPACE!

Now about this wildebeest migration- I'm not certain I want to see that. Is it just terribly loud and violent (dead animals everywhere etc) I might want to do that without the kids.
I TOOK MY KIDS ON SAFARI AND THEY LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT BUT AFTER 7 DAYS THEY DO GET BORED OF WILDLIFE. IF YOU ARE TAKING KIDS THEN STAY AT MARA INTREPIDS AS THEY HAVE A KIDS WILDLIFE PROGRAM WHICH IS FASCINATING.

I want to see the Serengeti. where should I stay and what to do there?
ALREADY INDICATED ABOVE AND U CAN ALWAYS SPLIT ACCOMMODATION.

Also, at Tsavo - where should one stay and for how long - and do what?
TSAVO CAN BE INCLUDED IN YOUR KENYA TRIP. STAY AT FINCH HATTON'S (KILAGUNI LODGE IF YOU PREFER A CHEAPER OPTION).

I love the sound of Grumeti river camp to see the hippos.
FANTASTIC PLACE AND PARTICULALRY SO AROUND JUNE/JULY WHEN THE MIGRATION PASSES BY! THE GRUMETI RIVER HAS SOME OF THE LARGEST CROCS IN AFRICA!

then the last area of uncertainlty is Selous - I'll just assume I'd be there in early august - so stay at Sand Rivers camp. I looked up Ruaha and Katavi - still trying to figure out where to go there and where to stay.
SELOUS - FLY FROM ARUSHA. STAY AT EITHER SELOUS RIVER CAMP OR SAND RIVERS (MORE EXPENSIVE). RUAHA - YOU CAN FLY FROM SELOUS TO RUAHA AND STAY AT MWAGUSI CAMP. THE SCHEDULED FLIGHTS CONNECTING RUAHA AND SELOUS DO NOT OPERATE DAILY SO YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU PLAN THE ITINERARY. SAME WITH KATAVI AND MAHALE (www.mahale.co.tz). I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE CHIMPS ON RUBONDO ISLAND ON LAKE VICTORIA. YOU CAN FLY TO RUBONDO ISLAND FROM SERENGETI. THERE ARE 2 FLIGHTS A WEEK FROM SERENGETI.

Still want to work a train ride into this somehow. Probably not the super expensive one.
YOU CAN ACTUALLY TRAVEL FROM DAR-ES-SALAAM TO SELOUS ON A TRAIN! SO U WOULD FLY FROM ARUSHA TO DAR, SPEND A NT THERE AND THEN TAKE THE TRAIN TO SELOUS THE FOLLOWING DAY. NEED TO CHECK SCHEDULE.

Politically, it looks like it might not be a good time to try to go to the coast for now, so I'm leaving that out of the planning.

The one thing I'm regretting with this itenerary is not getting to see Victoria Falls as that was way up on my list. Maybe I'd just fly over it but.... sniffle sniffle.

So gang. Any ideas how to connect the dots?

ALL DEPENDS ON THE NO. OF DAYS U HAVE AVAILABLE AND BUDGET. IT IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA TO DO EVERYTHING THE FIRST TIME. LIMIT YOUR SAFARI TO MAX 12 TO 14 NTS. YOU WILL WANT TO RETURN AGAIN. U CAN COMBINE UGANDA AND KENYA OR KENYA AND TZ BUT NOT ALL AND CERTAINLY NOT WITH SOUTHERN AFRICA. IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE IN MY OPINION.

Search this Thread