Please advise about Zambia trip!

Jan 17th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Please advise about Zambia trip!

Please advise! After intensive search on this forum I am still not completely clear how should I start arranging my customised trip to Zambia: 3 days in Luangwa River Lodge(or similar) + 3 days in Kasaka River Lodge (or similar in Low Zambezi NP) + 2 days on Victoria Falls. Will it be easy and not much expensive to do it through a travel agent? Does it make sence to add something additional, say for two nights? I passionate of fabulous ladscapes as well.
Jan 17th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Bxzhit,

Depending on your budget, the only way that I see that this trip may be improved upon, is if you add 3 nights (one night more than your desired two night extension) in a different part of South Luangwa. South Luangwa is an absolutely huge park, about 300 miles in length and 80 miles in width.

While most of the lodges are in the general area that Luangwa River Lodge is located, there are some alternate areas such as the further north area known as Nsefu, or the further south area known as Luamfwa.

If your budget is on the tight side, you may elect to stay at Luamfwa Lodge, about a 3.5 hour drive south of Luangwa River Lodge. It is only $190 per person per night in high season and it is in an absolutely beautiful area with the fabulous landscapes that you seek.

Alternately, if your budget allows for it, I can personally vouch for Kaingo being a great lodge, about two hours drive north of Luangwa River Lodge. Kaingo would be fabulous in dry season (July - October) but it is more expensive at $400 pp per night sharing. However, with 3 included game activities daily, it does offer a lot of bang for the buck. If you want to see some amazing hippo interaction, Kaingo's Hippo Hide cannot be topped and would allow for some amazing photographs.

Personally, as far as the order of the trip goes, I would start out with Victoria Falls and work my way north, hitting Kasaka River Lodge at the 2nd stop, moving north to South Luangwa to make Kaingo (of Luamfwa Lodge if that is all your budget allows) the 3rd stop and finishing off in grand style at Luangwa River Lodge since it is the most luxurious lodge of the bunch.

The dry season technically starts in June, but, honestly, even by late June, it is not yet that dry. I would wait until at least August, but I think that September may be the best month. While it will be warm in the daytime, it should not yet be intolerably hot. Plus, by early September, the elephants in the Lower Zambezi should have exhausted their food supply on the mainland and will now be going out to the numerous small river islands in the middle of the Zambezi River and that should allow some amazing viewing, especially by canoe.

Lastly, as an alternative to Kaingo, Tafika is worth strong consideration. It is the only game lodge I am aware of in all of Africa that offers microlighting as a possible activity (although their is a $60 extra charge). Microlighting is the main reason why I chose Tafika over Kaingo for my upcoming Zambian safari this year, although I will miss the hippo hide at Kaingo.

The websites for the places I mentioned are as follows:

Tafika - www.remoteafrica.com
Kaingo - www.kaingo.com
Luamfwa - www.luamfwa.com

As far as an agent goes, unless you intend on going in low season, I do not think you are going to get any breaks by booking directly, so I would advise you to use a good agent, preferably a local Southern African agent such as Taga Safaris (www.tagasafaris.co.za). If anything, you may even save a little money, especially if you make their job easy by having your dates and lodges all figured out.

Best of luck, you are going to LOVE Zambia!
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:40 AM

I highly recommend The River Club at the falls. You'll love the open sided chalets and seeing and hearing the hippo pods on the river. It's also quite romantic although we were there with our son also.

Search this Thread