Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Planning Trip to Israel - Purchase Travel Insurance? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/planning-trip-to-israel-purchase-travel-insurance-634923/)

pittpurple Jul 29th, 2006 07:26 AM

Planning Trip to Israel - Purchase Travel Insurance?

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Israel for Jan/Feb 2007 to visit my brother in Jerusalem, and then family all over the country. It only seems logical to buy travel insurance, as it's a huge financial outlay. I went to www.insuremytrip.com and can't figure it out at all - what do I need to get? How much insurance? Does it matter that there's conflict going on currently?

Any advice, etc. from anyone would be appreciated - this is our first big trip and I don't want to make a bad decision.

Thanks!

Roccco Jul 29th, 2006 08:18 AM

Yes, and perhaps some life insurance. ;)

On a serious note, also take a look at www.medjetassistance.com as this will provide you with medical evacuation coverage not only to the nearest hospital but all the way home. Most medical evacuation insurance included in travel insurance only covers you to the nearest major hospital. With MedJetAssistance you buy an annual policy and it covers you anytime you are like 150 miles+ away from home. Last year I paid $305 for a one year policy that covered both my wife and I.

thit_cho Jul 29th, 2006 08:42 AM

I think you are talking about two different types of insurance, trip cancellation and medical evacuation.

I am not an expert, but I would be surprised if you can insure against an existing situation -- for example, I doubt that an insurer would cover you if you cancel because of hostilities at the current level. To answer your question, I think it matters than there's a current conflict.

I think you should contact an expert, like an insurance broker.

matnikstym Jul 29th, 2006 09:20 AM

you can call some of the companies that you looked at on insuremytrip and they'll tell you if you can get cancellation insurance for your trip.

sandi Jul 29th, 2006 12:04 PM

If you have prepaid for any part of your land portion - hotels, tours, car rental, etc. and your airline ticket if not using frequent flyer miles, you definitely have to consider trip cancellation/interruption insurance. But considering the current situation, you have to check the various drop-down menus to see what each provider says about "war" and/or "terrorism." If you do not understand or can't figure where your situation fits in the scheme of things, there's an 800# you can call to get more information.

However, if you will be staying with family, haven't prepaid for any land options, technically you have nothing to insure again... but for your airline ticket. And if you decide not to use your airline ticket when you are scheduled to depart, you can in all likelihood get a voucher, usually good for 1/yr. Then for a fee you can rebook your flights for a future date.

As to medical and/or evacuation, a comprehensive policy will cover cancellation, interruption, flight and baggage delay, baggage loss, medical, dental and medical evacuation.

When it comes to medical, you're probably in the best place in the Middle East for medical care in any Israeli hospital; you may not even want to be evacuated if you find yourself needing medical treatment. Along with South Africa's private hospital system, Israel is outstanding; maybe even more than in the US.

But back to the cancellation/interruption, read what's available and speak to someone directly to see where you fit considering the current situation.

artlover Jul 29th, 2006 04:47 PM

I just bought a ticket for my daughter from Tel Aviv-Rome with Orbitz and I have never purchased trip insurance before, but felt good about getting it this time. If you haven't gotten your tickets yet, you can purchase insurance at the time you get them (or up 'til 24 prior to departure). The company I got it with is Access America and the website is www.etravelprotection.com. They have a toll free #--1-877-593-4989.

I pray things calm down by the time of your trip (actually long before then).

Hope this helps.

jenhack Aug 31st, 2006 11:14 AM

Insurance is definitely necessary! During my trip to Israel in May, I became ill and was in ICU in Jerusalem for a few days. My medical insurance covered 100% of the cost, even for the private ward which I was moved into after ICU.

We were supposed to have gone to Jordan after Israel and our travel insurance refunded us all costs, even for telephone calls!

And I agree with Sandi about medical facilities in Israel, even though I was in a tiny hospital, the care was amazing! Although the language barrier was a bit of a problem (the hotel was staffed by Arab Christians)the staff could not have been more kind and caring.

So yes, insurance is a "must".

And you are going to fall in love with Israel. I would go back there in a heartbeat!

FainaAgain Sep 1st, 2006 12:55 PM

There are 2 types of insurance: medical and cancellation. Do you have any medical insurance now? If yes, call them and ask if you're covered worldwide.

I always strongly advise to get medical insurance. Example: my then 19-year-old son got sick with flu in Europe, was admitted to a hospital. Insurance paid 100%.

As for cancellation insurance... who knows! If you don't go, how much will you lose? The air you most likely will be able to use within a year. The gifts you can mail :) Hotel? can you cancel, if needed?

If you decide to buy insurance, check the time frames. Some of them must be paid for within 2 weeks of making reservations.

Larry1220 Nov 27th, 2006 09:49 AM

Know what you are buying. Trip Interruption does not cover airline tickets. They get around this because it only covers the unused part of your trip. It happened to me. On the first full day of our vacation my wife's father died. We returned the next morning. We purchased a 10 day 9 night vacation from Vacationtravelmart with the travel insurance. We received payment for 7 nights unused at the hotel. The reason given for not covering more was that we had used the airline portion of the trip and 2 nights at the hotel. Even the person at the travel agency was surprised at this. She like I thought that the whole trip was insured and we only got one day of our vacation and assumed that we would get 90% or so of the expense back so that we could take our vacation another time. So, in effect the travel part is not covered when it comes to trip Interruption