Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Planning first trip to Lebanon/Syria for ten days. Any suggestions?

Planning first trip to Lebanon/Syria for ten days. Any suggestions?

Jul 8th, 2000, 08:23 AM
Jim

Planning first trip to Lebanon/Syria for ten days. Any suggestions?

Heard that it's kind of tough to go to Lebanon (Beirut) from Syria as far as visas etc,etc. Has anyone been to Beirut recently can you tell me what you liked/disliked about it? Would appreciate suggestions on where to go for a total of about ten days in the region.

Jul 9th, 2000, 07:37 AM
jordan holiday tours

dear jim,

since we are one of the tour operators working for lebanon,syria&jordan ,pls advise all details &pax no ,will get you the best route &rates
regards
ali rawashdeh

Jul 10th, 2000, 07:01 AM
michele

We went to Lebanon and Syria in April for about ten days. No problems at all. Had our visas ready, got a cab at the border of Lebanon, went through the check-out section , drove a bit, checked in at Syria, and drove to Damascus. The cab was about twenty dollars from near Baalbek ( a must) to Damascus. Beirut is urban sprawl personified, with bullet-ridden buildings next to Versace boutiques. The downtown area is being rebuilt and it is beautiful. There are lots of cafes, restaurants, friendly people. We visited Tripoli, very Arabic..good souk, Sidon, Byblos, Beittedin ( gorgeous) and the incredible Baalbek. In Syria we hired a driver through Jasmin Tours and aside from walking all over Damascus, visited Bosra, Krak, Maalula, Sydnaye, Palmyra, and Aleppo.
Great trip, no hassles at all. Just get your visa in order before you go and you'll be fine. The friendliest countries I have ever visited. I would be surprised if you are not invited into a home for tea or a meal.

Search this Thread