Planning East Africa return Trip--Interesting

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning East Africa return Trip--Interesting

Just sent off deposit, purchased flight tickets and travel insurance for Nov safari to Kenya and northern Tanzania. Seems the more time one spends in Africa the more difficult the process to decide on a visit. Previous trips have been in May/June so this time we decided on first half of Nov. In addition to companies used on previous safaris I opted to contact couple frequently listed on this forum. So, I used the TATO web site to solicit responses. Alas, I did not hit the right "buttons" and my inquiry went out probably to the full membership. Thus, I had some 20 proposals to review. An interesting experience not only as to variation in price but also itinerary. For the Tanzania portion, I gave areas we wished to visit, number of days and commentary on accommodations. A few attempted to steer me towards their standard itins., some ignored areas we wanted to visit and substitued theirs, a couple shortened our stay by several days, and one didn't offer a price. But, three or four really came thru. We settled on Africa Serendipity who will coordinate travel with Roys and Wildtrek Safari for the Samburu safari. One aspect I appreciated, and might merit thought when others are seeking proposals, had to do with choice of lodging. For each area we wanted to visit we had differences in costs for upgrading/down scaling lodges/camps. Then, from variety of sources we could check out those options deciding if an extra $30 ppn was worth it.

Promise a trip report and pictures. Now this wintery day in central Pa seems a lot brighter with only nine months to go!!
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Congrats on your impending return to Africa, Rsnyder! I appreciated your input on southern Tanzania, BTW. If you've got your itinerary, it would be interesting to see what your final choices were.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Arrive Nairobi--Fairview Hotel

Flight to Samburu Reserve--Larsens Camp for 3 nites then flight to Wilson Airport for flight to Kilimanjaro Airport.

Overnight in Arusha--African Tulip for 2 nights with day in Arusha NP

Tarangire NP--Kikoti Camp for 2 nites

Proceed to Ngorongoro Crater for afternoon game drive--Sopa Lodge

Onward to Central Serengeti for 2 nights at Mbuzi Mawe Camp

Move south to Ndutu area of NCA with 2 nites at Ndutu Lodge

To Lake Manyara NP & game drive--Kirurumu Camp

Morning game drive and return to Arusha. Afternoon open for local activities. Depart JRO airport for home.

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 02:23 PM

rsnyder,

this looks like a wonderful itinerary for Samburu and the Northern Circuit, great.

I am familiar with some of those accommodations and some I wish had been available when I booked our 2008 safari.

Look forward to your trip report as I have enjoyed your previous postings and photos.

Cheers,

Pol

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 03:05 PM

I am familiar with two of the places. We stayed at Larsens and Mbuzi Mawe this July. Mbuzi Mawe is nice enough but Larsens is very special. The accommodations, location, food and staff are all first rate. I am sure you'll love it. It was one of our favorite places. I look forward to returning.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Great you are going back. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Not that I had any doubt about lodging but very nice to hear the above comments. While there is a lot to be said about making arrangments by ones self we opted to work with others including US company mentioned and even AAA for flights for convenience and peace of mind. 'course it is very helpful to have this forum from which to glean info. Thanks all. Dick