planning africa trip..so confused

Jan 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

planning africa trip..so confused

Hi All, my hubby and I have a month to travel in feb and we want to go to africa. We are all over the place...cant decide. top choices inc south africa (capetown), egypt and morroco. we are open to other places and would like to do a safari. I believe feb in SA is not a good time for a safari. I read that Kenya is good in feb. Are there packages for a safari in kenya and visiting capetown? if anyone could comment. Is it possible to do north and south africa in 1 month inc. safari? Appreciate any help!
Jan 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM

Yikes, Feb 2009? Not that far away is it? Where are you, Europe, USA, Asia? (This is your first post here). I would say ok to do north and south Africa in one month. (But not two weeks). What is your budget? A lot of $$$$ will help get you what/wherever you want . And I think you need to see a travel agent (TA) ASAP after you get some ideas here. They will be happy to have a big $$$$ sale (two people, one month Africa) so quick.

Sorry, but that's all I can do for you, just trying to ask a couple of very basic questions.

regards - tom
Jan 13th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Egypt is good for visit in February; Morocco can be a tad cold. Kenya has ideal weather, if a bit hot at some places.

Many people combine Egypt with Kenya as flights between the two are easy enough. You can combine 9/days Egypt with combined Kenya & Tanzania with beach extension either at Zanzibar or Mombasa.

Getting between Egypt and South Africa or East Africa and South Africa is a bit more limited, can be costly and the hours of flying.

Jan 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM

I really don't know why February would not be a good time to visit South Africa. It is a fabulous country with many terrains, an excellent tourist infrastructure, and activities to suit people of different interests. There is the advantage of having the English language and the US $ is fairly strong to the Rand right now. I believe that, with so little time to make your plans, South Africa would offer more options than some of the other destinations mentioned. If you have a month, you could add the Okavango in Botswana to your South African itinerary or a number of other desirable spots around Southern Africa. Don't even consider trying to do both North and South Africa in a month. ZZ
Jan 13th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Tanzania should be an option, as well, if you can find space (doesn't seem to be a problem this year.) The Migration herds should be in the southern Serengeti in February.
Jan 13th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Yes, as ShayTay says, throw in the Southern Serengeti.

With a month, you could go to northern and southern Africa.

Here is a chart of temps and wildlife viewing different places throughout the year.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

But don't delay, Feb is 2 weeks away.
Jan 13th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Tanzania would be my second choice for a month. You could go from Zanzibar to Lake Tanganyika (see Jane Goodall's old camp at Gombe Stream and Ujiji, of Stanley-Livingstone fame). You could do both the northern circuit (Serengeti and my favorite, Tarangire) and the southern route (Selous Game Reserve and others). ZZ