Planning a trip in December Second Week

Nov 11th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Vikram Gupta

Planning a trip in December Second Week

Hi,
Need some suggestion, planning a trip to along with my wife and 2.5 yr old son to Kenya sometime in Decmebr IInd week for about 2-9 days. Any suggestion for the 2.5 yr old guy, is it safe for him, will it be enjoyble for him or one should go when he is grown up ( though he loves animals already)
My wife is a vegetarian so is it tough to get veg meals? etc etc. Lots of questions.
Anybody can help!!

Nov 13th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Karen

I know the Outfitter which can organize your trip in East Africa with your 2.5 yrs child. Contact: [email protected]

Nov 13th, 2001, 06:17 AM
chris

Hi,

I was hoping someone else would tackle your questions. Since I don't have children myself I hesitate to offer any concrete advice regarding traveling with children. But since your trip is just a few weeks away I will jump in with what my instincts are about taking a small child on Safari from my recent trip in Kenya.

The youngest children I remember seeing on Safari were about 6-7 years old. Safari driving is very tiring, days are long, and the drives to Parks are brutal. I do know that some of the Lodges offer babysitting services with advance arrangements (check out the Serena's Lodges www.serenahotels.com). Camps would probably be unsuitable and less safe then the Lodges for a toddler. Also keep in mind that the Lodges aren't really set up to entertain small children, no playground, books, videos, games, etc. So you will need to bring all the required diversions with you. Of course the Lodge Swimming Pools are always available.

I don't think a child that young could handle more then one game drive a day.
I do know that some of the Lodges offer babysitting services with advance arrangements (check out the Serena's Lodges) so you and your wife could go on more game drives each day, leaving your son behind at the Lodge.

Also I think the best thing you could do is limit yourself to FLYING into only 1 or MAYBE 2 Parks/Reserves to visit, along with visiting the Giraffe Center and Wildlife Trust, Snake Park and Nairobi National Park in Nairobi (your son will love feeding the Giraffes).

We really enjoyed flying into the Parks where we were met by our Lodge at the airstrips and they provided all the game drives. To give you an idea of the long driving times from Nairobi to Masai Mara is over 5 hours on the most awful dirt roads you could imagine-not good for a tot, and not to mention a lot of Safari vehicles don't have seat belts.

A good itinerary would be something like this:

2 or 3 days Nairobi-Giraffe Center, wildlife trust, national museum, snake park and Nairobi National Park (lots of animals here)

2 or 3 days Masai Mara-fly return from Nairobi Wilson on Air Kenya.

Contact any of the numerous Tour Operators in Nairobi, tell them your situation, where you want to go and how you want to get there and they will take care of the rest (lodges, ground transport, babysitting, flights, etc). There are several Operators that have been recommended on this board. You can read about our trip a few weeks ago on a Post titled "Just Back from Kenya-Fantastic".
Vegetarian is not a problem. Every Lodge we ate at had wonderful Veggie options. I don't eat red meat and the fish was excellent everywhere.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread