Reload this Page >

7D/6N Safari Itinerary for Northern Circuit, Tanzania, in October

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I would very much appreciate comments/suggestions for the below itinerary.

Day 1 - early morning flight to Kogatende from Zanzibar, check-in at either one of the following camps (3 nights):

Lemala Mara Camp

Olakira Mara Camp

Ubuntu Camp

Serengeti Mara Camp

Day 2 - activities in Serengeti-Mara

Day 3 - activities in Serengeti-Mara

Day 4 - early morning flight from Kogatende airstrip to Manyara airstrip (or possibly an overland drive) and check-in at either one of the following lodges (1 night):

Gibbs Farm

Bashay Rift Lodge

Plantation Lodge

Day 5 - early morning drive to Ngorongoro Crater (reach there when gate opens), activities in Ngorongoro Crater floor, afternoon transfer to Tarangire National Park and check-in at either one of the following lodges (2 nights):

Mawe Ninga Camp

Lemala Tarangire Camp

Day 6 - activities in Tarangire

Day 7 - morning game-drive and transfer to Kilimanjaro Airport.

*I have chosen the Serengeti Mara because of the small number of visitors and opportunity to witness the Great Migration

**I have chosen not to stay on the Ngorongoro Crater Rim to have a better value accommodation in Karatu

***I have chosen not to stay at any of the lodges outside of Tarangire National Park to avoid time spend driving to the game-viewing areas

I am eager to read your responses.

Regards,

Remy
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 02:47 PM

What time of year are you planning to travel? The northern Serengeti is great from July into August when the Migration is headed north into Kenya. Since you are considering Lemala camps in the Serengeti and Tarangire, you might also think about staying in their camp on the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater. They had a 7-day Migration Special using those 3 camps a while back and you'd most likely get a discount for booking all 7 nights with them. They could also coordinate all your transfers. Most Northern Circuit safaris go in the opposite direction, though... Tarangire, Ngorongoro, then the Serengeti (saving the best for last!)
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM

While you might have better pricing in lodges off the Crater rim, you'll lose some of your early morning viewing time. It will take you an hour or more to get from the NCA gate into the Crater. If you're on the rim at the Lemala camp or the Ngorogngoro Sopa Lodge, you can be down in the Crater almost immediately. Take a picnic breakfast and take advantage of the best hour of game viewing. The Sopa is fairly reasonable and is next to a descent/ascent road. If you're staying off the rim, I'd recommend the Ngorongoro Farmhouse, my favorite.

In the northern Serengeti, we stayed at the Serengeti Mara Camp. At the time, it was the only one in the Lemai Wedge, tucked up against Kenya's Masai Mara (only without the crowds.) We saw a couple of wildebeest crossings on the Mara River.
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM

October trip.

How much $$ are you saving by staying away from the crater rim? Not worth the trade-off IMO.

Are you going in this direction to make use of the Zanzibar to Kogatende flight as your only internal flight?

If you started in Tarangire after flying from Zanzibar, you'd probably need another flight back from the Serengeti.
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 03:51 AM

Concur with spending a few more $$ to stay on the Crater rim not only for view, great sunset (depending on location) but also travel time. If this is first safari than strongly suggest staying on the rim.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM

End Oct is good to start at No. Serengeti, but know of the camps mentioned, Serengeti Mara will likely be the most expensive. However, even if considering less vehicles here, if like this year with lots of rain you might get stuck on that side of the river and transport to/from airstrip might be challenging, if possible. Any of the other camps mentioned should be considered and bearing in mind there are only 5-6 camps in the Kogatende area... not really an issue with too many vehicles. Admittedly, more control on the Serengeti side than in the Mara.

Forget the drive from Kogatende thru Central to the crater... will take almost a full day. Departing by air at about 10:30am to Lake Manyara, here met by guide/driver and vehicle for a transfer (about 2/hrs) to the Crater Rim* for stay overnight (Sopa good and priced right) so you can have early morning crater tour (these limited to 6/hrs officially). Then departing for drive about 3/hrs to Tarangire and when concluding stay here... drive to JRO for homebound.

Staying in Karatu, it will be at minimum a 1.5-2/hr drive to Crater, entry processing takes about 30/min depending on number of those waiting... then transit across Rim to descent road... probably not down on floor till 8am earliest! Why waste the 2/hrs?
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 05:15 PM

I detect a pattern.