Pilanesberg in november

Oct 18th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Patrick

Pilanesberg in november

We are going to spend five days in Capetown area by end of november.We might spend 2 more days near Johannesburg before flying to Mauritius.Is Pilanesberg interesting to visit for a first game view and is it a good period ?

Oct 18th, 2000, 06:49 PM
Nigel

Pilansberg is the most convenient - but also the most touristic - of all the Game Parks within reach of Jo'burg.
The park is adjacent to the huge Sun City hotel and entertainment complex, and the park gets a lot of large safari viewing trucks.
There are a number of lodges actually in the Park, which might be worth considering, since the Guides know places away from the Tourists, and you can also go out very early morning or on night drives which the large tourist groups from outside the Park don't do.

November is a good time to visit - bit hot, expect temperatures of 30+ - but game viewing should be good.

Kruger Park would be a better option, but if you only have two days available it would be rather 'rushed'

N

Oct 19th, 2000, 12:31 AM
sabrina

Pilanesburg more touristy than Kruger?! I don't think so. Pilanesburg is a great place to visit. Smaller and more "homey" I greatly enjoyed it.

Oct 19th, 2000, 03:19 AM
bert

Game-viewing in Pilanesberg can be quite interesting and it is certainly worthwhile visiting if you just have a couple of days in the Jo'burg area. The vegetation in the area can get extremely rank after good rains, which makes game-viewing very difficult. I was there in late May a couple of years ago and the grass was so high we could just see the backs of the rhino...
So don't expect too much, as they may already have had quite a bit of rain by the end of November. I've been there three times and have never seen too many 'large safari trucks'.
Keep in mind that you can fly direct from Cape Town to Hoedspruit, which is a convenient gateway to several private game lodges in the Kruger Park area. Might as well go the whole hog and fly up there for a couple of days.

Search this Thread