Reload this Page >

Pictures - safari Botswana dec 2005

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
johan_belgium

Last month I visited Kwara (4 nights) and Lebala (8 nights). Although game was not as prolific like in wintertime, there were still plenty of opportunities to take some nice shots.

Pictures can be seen by using the following link: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-fpi4gu

Enjoy - Johan

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lovely pictures. Fun trying to get all the birds, there are a couple of raptors I'll need the book for I think.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:36 AM
mv

Johan

very nice pictures.
Who was your guide at Kwara?
Did you see the Skimmers at Kwara or Lebala?
I will be back to Kwara and Lebala/Lagoon next year in January and your pictures
just reminded me how much I want to goback!

Michael
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
johan_belgium

Michael,

My guides were the following: Joe at Kwara and Steve at Lebala. Both were outstanding (general knowledge, tracking, positioning the vehicule and great sense of humour). Kwando safaris is well managed and deserves to my account its excellent reputation. I'll be back there in May this year and probably in September also.

The skimmers seen on one of the pictures were found at Kwara. But I also saw three of them at Lebala. If you are interested in birds, December is just a lovely month to go.

Thanks for your comments on my pictures.

Greetings, Johan

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:53 AM

Well, for my next trip you'll have to tell me your secret for coaxing the animals to pose for you (ok, ok, or I need a class in photographic composition!) Gorgeous shots, love the two jackals together, and so many more... Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:58 AM
mv

Johan

I have had Steve as a private guide twice and he is just fantastic. I also had Joe as a guide in 2004. You were certainly in good hands.
Unfortunately I do not have any safaris planned for 2006 but will be going twice in 2007. The January trip to the Kwando properties (with Steve as private guide) will be my first wet season trip and I am really looking forward to see the summer colours and the birds.

Michael

Michael
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:02 PM

GREAT pics! thanks for sharing! how was the weather? I'm thinking of Kwando camps next December.
Thanks again!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
johan_belgium

To Matnikstym

I was lucky with the weather, it only rained two times when I was there. (One hour during the second afternoon and once from seven in the evening till four in the morning). The day I left (actually on Christmas) we had a serious thunderstorm and we had to sit for almost an hour in the plane (Caravan) before we could manage to take off.

In terms of photography it's definitely a rewarding time to go because light conditions were just brilliant due to the clouds.

Thanks for your comments on my pics.

To Michael: I know right now that I was in good hands - I will also request for those guys to be my private guides during my trips in 2006. What I like about a guide is it's extensive knowledge about the area they are guiding in and like you know these men are working for a long time at those properties. By the way which other safari are you doing in 2007?

Johan

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM

Johan,

Great pix. Some beautiful lion shots. My favorite is the pelicans and yellow billed storks. You had great variety with wild dog and cheetah. Will some of these make it into your book?

Did you gain any more information on Duba Plains?

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM

WOW Johan - what an absolute pleasure looking through your photos has been! Wonderful! Am ever so jealous!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:39 PM
johan_belgium

Atravelynn,

Due to that thunderstorm on Christmas I was stuck at Kwara and arrived very late at Maun airport. So actually I didn't had time to go to the Wilderness office because otherwise I would have missed my flight to CPT. But one of the ladies from Wilderness safaris at the airport gave me a business card with the person to whom I have to talk about it. I'll let you know next week.

I don't think one of the pictures you have seen on this album,will make it to the book. To be honest with you I am not publishing those ones on any website at the moment.

Thank you for your comments on my pics.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM

Johan,

Very nice pictures.

What do you think about going to kwara, lagoon or lebala in march?

If march is oké, should it be early or late march?

Greetings Steve

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:26 PM

hi johan,
glad to see steve is still at lebala. he was our guide in lagoon/lebala in june 2000. great guy and fantastic eyesight for spotting game. he also had a knack for keeping up with the wild dogs as they moved out on their hunts.

im also very curious about duba plains comments as i'm scheduled for a couple night stay in late aug. thax in advance for any info u receive.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM

sorry johan, one more question. how have the rains been this year in northern botswana? and how about in the angolan highlands? just curious if they are predicting an avarage flood year or something different like in 04. thx
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
mv

Johan

In January 2007 I will be doing 11 days at the Kwando properties.
In June I will be at Biyamiti Camp in Kruger ( a small selfcatered camp) for a Birthday party. We have not decided what to do after the party but Namibia is certainly a possibility.
At Kwara camp you could also consider Doctor or Mothusi as a private guide.
Mothusi is a very good photographer

Michael
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:47 AM

Beautiful shots Johan. Love all the cat shots - paticularly the group family shot. Thanks for sharing.
Sherry
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:01 AM
johan_belgium

Bigcountry,

According to the manager of Lebala, rains have been very good in the beginning of the rainy season in northern Botswana (highest rainfall for many years at the start of the season). If I have a look at the weather forecast, they expect for Angola/Northern Botswana more than average rainfall. Wait and see I guess, because mother nature is quite unpredictable.

Michael, Mothusi is at the moment based at Lagoon. But it won't be a problem I guess to ask for him at Kwara.

Greetings, Johan

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Hi Johan,

Maybe you missed my question. I was just wondering what you think of going to the kwando camps in march (early or late march), especially with the more than average rainfall.

Thanks Steve
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:50 PM
johan_belgium

Steve,

I have never been to those camps that time of year.

Normally at the end of March the rainy season comes to an end. So big game will still be scattered around due to the many opportunities they have to drink. So if you mostly interested in predators, I wouldn't recommend to go that time of year to those camps. You can still see them of course but the guides have to work much harder to find them than in wintertime. Otherwise if you are interested in birds and have an open mind (=enjoy what you can see) it's still a great time to go because everything is also still lush and green.

It's difficult to tell if you should go at the beginning or at the end of March. Normally I should stay as late as possible in March although I experienced heavy thunderstorms in late March.

I like that month because some companies in Botswana offer still reasonable rates, birding is good and light conditions can be excellent. If I have to go in March, I would love to go to a camp that gives access to Borea, my favourite spot in Botswana.

Sorry for the fact I forgot to answer your question at first.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 02:19 AM

Thanks Johan!

I just got the following option for febr./march:
3n. lagoon
3n. lebala and
2n. kwara.
(would have liked to go longer to kwara but it was fully booked).

The secret season rates make it possible to go solo (no single supplement) to these camps.

However, being (indeed)a predator lover, I still have some hesitation saying YES to my tc. I don't mind the number of sightings though.

My other (and only) possibility to go on safari would be in april or may. Possibly sabi sand (elephant plains).
Probably better for leapards.
How about lions? kwando camps feb/march vs. elephant plains april/may.

Will the overall "africa-feeling" be the same?

Finally, in an earlier post you mentioned you always travel with a duth company called miles travel(correct me if I'm wrong). Do you know
other good companies (in holland).

Greetings and thanks,

Steve (from holland)

This will probably

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -