Pics from a safari of a different sort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted a trip report over on the Cruises forum, but since most of the people I know on this Forum hang out here, I thought I'd post a link to my and my wife's pictures from Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falkland Islands. Head over and take a look, especially if you like enormous birds, penguins, whales, seals and icebergs!
http://www.pbase.com/cwillis/antarctica
Hope you enjoy them.

Chris
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

I am heading to the cruise forum now !
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:48 AM

Great photos, Chris. Looks (and sounded) like a wonderful trip!
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM

Great photos Chris! Haven't read your report yet but it looks like a fantastic trip. If the economy ever recovers perhaps I'll make it there some day.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:59 AM

Chris, I haven't had a chance to look at them all yet, but those that I have seen are great.

Several years ago I saw a documentary on a Falkland Island predator nicknamed Johnny Rook (I just looked it up and its actually a Striated Caricara http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striated_Caracara). Did you see any? The documentary (I think it was a Nat Geo) had amazing footage of the birds attacking penguin chicks.

Michael
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM

Thanks for posting your wonderful pictures, Chris. Really enjoyed them; some good memories too. Everything looked truly refreshing compared to the grit we're now getting out of our Tiger Safari clothes. Also envious of all your animal pictures since we came back with only 20 or so pictures of the same pair of tigers--but we found them within the park's lottery system and the time allowed!

Where next?

Your Atlanta Neighbor
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Everyone, thanks for your comments and thanks for looking at the pictures.

Michael -- we did see a number of striated caracaras, but usually they were flying too high to get a decent picture. Our one and only passable picture is here:
http://www.pbase.com/cwillis/image/109739055
This one landed literally 5 feet in front of us, but it had started raining and I had put our main cameras away in my waterproog bag, so we had to take this with our point & shoot!

patlanta -- glad to hear that your tiger safari was a success! That is something we have been wanting to do. Next up is a long-planned trip to Cape Town (for great white sharks) and Tanzania (northern circuit) in June-July. How about you?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM

If you can catch a porpoising penguin with your camera, you'll be able to snap a photo of a breaching Great White.

Great variety of scenery and wildlife. Looks like your weather was good. Could you put in a link to the report on the other forum?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Hey Lynn, thanks! Those penguin jumping shots were very difficult and required a lot of tries to get.

Here's a link to the trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/crui...d-pictures.cfm
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM

Chris, I just read your great, detailed report on the Cruise forum (it was actually my first visit to that forum). I am on Quark's mailing list, and I considered the same trip that you made -- I ultimately decided to visit Micronesia and the Philippines last December, instead of Antarctica.

How many days was your trip from departure to return -- I need to figure out number of days out of the office.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Michael, it is too bad you din't get on our trip -- it would have been great to meet you in person after talking on the Forum all these years.
We left on the evening of January 12 and returned mid-day on February 3 -- three weeks and one day. We probably could have shaved one day from that by connecting directly through Buenos Aires instead of spending the night there, but we were trying to take it easy and save our energy for the main part of the trip.
Let me know if you wnat any other info to help you decide on, or plan, a trip to Antarctica. Obviously, we loved it and would highly recommend it.

Chris
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Fabulous pictures, Chris! I do have a couple that are similar Your pictures tell me you had an amazing trip. Thanks for posting them. I'll go check out your trip report now.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
thit_cho, I was in the Falkland Islands for 2 weeks in February and I called those caracaras our guardian angels because they were everywhere. When we stopped for lunch, they were there. When we stopped to take pictures, they were there. When I went out in the morning, they were there. It was a great trip and the weather was much, much better than expected so we gave the caracaras credit.

When we stayed on Carcass Island there were 3 or 4 in the yard there and when the cook threw some bones out for the dogs those caracaras just went crazy, squawking over and over. Very loud. Finally the cook went out and picked up the bones and the birds settled down.

Two in our group did see a bird attack and kill a young penguin but it was a different bird. It was the skua. They said it was horrible. I'm glad I didn't see it. The penguin chicks were as large as the adults when we saw them.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the report. I'll be reading it later.