Picking an Africa tour operator

Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Picking an Africa tour operator

I am looking at taking a tour in East Africa. I was interested in Tauck Tours but found the cost prohibitive. I am now intersted in a tour with 2Afrika in Tanazia which is considerably more affordable and had an almost identical intinerary. I'm just afraid it might be a case of "you get what you pay for". Has anyone had experience with 2Afrika and would you recommend them...any problems...etc. Would appreciate your answers soon.
Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM

Sheilah,
If you put 2Afrika or 2Afrika.com in the search box, you will find lots of previous threads about this company. Almost all of them have been extremely positive.

You may also want to email a few local safari operators based in Tanzania and have them quote you the cost for a private safari with the same itinerary. I'm currently planning a trip to Kenya (but I think this also applies to Tanzania) and found that this option doesn't cost much more than a scheduled group safari if there are at least two of you. You'll have the vehicle/guide to yourselves and can depart any day rather than having to depart on a set schedule. Unless of course, you prefer a group atmosphere and have no problems with the set dates.

One Tanzania based operator that has been recommended often on this board is Roy's Safaris. Hope this helps.
Oct 23rd, 2004, 06:05 PM

My husband and I went to East Africa last June/July. I spent weeks, if not months looking at different tour operators and lodges. I contacted Abercrombi Kent (high end) and got a few itineraries that they offer. I narrowed it down to exactly what I wanted. I then sent it out to 6 local companies for quotes. I didn't select the cheapest one. I went with SunTrek Safari Company. We stayed at the same lodges, ate the same food and swam in the same pool as they did. The only difference that I could tell was we didn't get free hats or face masks. Oh well, with the 9,800 dollars we saved I was able to get the hat I wanted. By the way, Ambercrombi quotes, included a jeep full of 8 people. I saved 9,800 and got a private safari for just my husband and I. A private safari might be something to consider. We were happy with our decision. Our safari was OURS! We didn't have to wait for other people on departure times. We could "spread out" during the drives since every seat was open. Our driver was only concerned with us for the 30 days. He stopped when we asked him and had no problem staying in a certian area for hours, because it was up to us. If we didn't want to stop for a endless bird watching photo opt we didn't. If you go private, your driver/guide will learn very fast your wants and wishes. It took only two drives for our driver to learn that my husband wanted an ice cheast with 6 cold beers in it for the evening drives. We never asked, our guide figured it out. It was the best vacation that I have ever had. My brother is on safari as I type with SunTrek. I couldn't recommend a better to go with

Search this Thread