Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Photos from Tanzania/Kenay Safari (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/photos-from-tanzania-kenay-safari-471200/)

rsnyder Aug 31st, 2004 09:18 AM

Photos from Tanzania/Kenay Safari

Okay, finally got photos organized and onto Fonto site. The address below should work.
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...p;sort_order=0

Any comments as to mis-identified wildlife certainly appreciated. Dick

Wulfstan Aug 31st, 2004 09:34 AM

Wow what great shots, thanks so much for sharing with us! Just came back from Africa in May of 2004 (our first trip) and already talking about returning. Again fantastic photos!

RuthieC Aug 31st, 2004 09:41 AM

Dick,

I'm already in and looking! Great photos - my favourites are some of the birds - particularly the red-cheeked cordon bleu.

I love the photo of the Wildebeest on the plain (no.32)- the colour in this is lovely. Also the black rhino at Nakuru is a great shot with the Flamingos in the background. I didn't much like the look of the traffic jam though!

This brings back such fond memories of my very first safari in Kenya - I'm so glad we're going back to East Africa later this year.

Great photos, thanks for sharing them.

rsnyder Aug 31st, 2004 09:51 AM

Many thanks for the compliments. Are you a birder? I ask as we have a few photos we simply can not identify. Have a great trip.
Dick

RuthieC Aug 31st, 2004 09:57 AM

A very interested amateur. However happy to have a go at identifying them. Suggest you post on Ofoto as I'm sure there are many other people on here who are more of an expert than I am.

jules39 Aug 31st, 2004 10:11 AM

Dick

Thanks so much for posting your photos they are great. We are heading to Tanz/Kenya in Feb with 2afrika on a similar trip so I was especially keen to see your shots.

Thanks again for sharing those great shots.

J

thit_cho Aug 31st, 2004 11:38 AM

Great photos. Are you sure your second to last photo is of a cheetah. It looks like a leopard -- note no tear drop black marks on face and body is much larger than cheetahs. To me it looks like a leopard, and wonder if others agree?

sandi Aug 31st, 2004 11:57 AM

Just went thru the photos and they are great. But have to agree with thit_cho - it's a Leopard! Besides the eyes, the body fur/spots are Leopard. Nice to see this one walking about so freely during the daytime.

Thanks for sharing!

Kavey Aug 31st, 2004 12:18 PM

Ditto to Ruthie - that pic of a black rhino with flamingoes behind is just incredible! The cheetah pic is also lovely.

What I really like though is how many images focus on the small stuff - Pete and I really love those little critters - you have birds, bugs, lizards etc - all wonderful!

And you already know that image 66 is a leopard not a cheetah - mental typo right? I make 'em all the time!

Thanks so much for sharing!

JanGoss Aug 31st, 2004 01:15 PM

Dick:

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos. I too like the lion cub. Precious face.

I just got back a week ago and am already planning my return. Bet you'll be thinking about it also.

Thanks again,

Jan

divewop Aug 31st, 2004 04:07 PM

Dick,
Enjoyed the pics of Kenya & Tanzania. The shot of the black rhino was great.

You brought back some great memories of one of my favorite game reserves, the Mara. Gotta get back there someday soon. Thanks for sharing. :)

rsnyder Sep 1st, 2004 03:38 AM

Thanks to all, Yes, the next to last one is a leopard. Sorry for being sloppy and I noted I mispelled Kenya in the posting. If time permits I will attempt to post more birds and the "ticks" on the belly of a lioness. I was delighted with the ease of placing pictures on Ofoto.
Dick

thit_cho Sep 1st, 2004 03:48 AM

Thanks, I didn't mean to suggest sloppiness; sometimes its very difficult to differentiate leopards and cheetahs, and your shot of a terrestrial leopard is rare. Its a terrific photo.

Liz_Frazier Sep 1st, 2004 04:33 AM

Hi Dick- I enjoyed your album very much. Was all of it done by your small camera? Thats what we used for our last two trips to Africa and it sure was nice. You got great shots. I somehow couldn't find the leopard in the tree but I think I spotted the carcas. Will you return? I know you just got back, but it was such a neat trip, I wonder if you all feel complete with Africa. I haven't seen rhinos in the wild since my first trips in the 80s. Wonderful! Liz

rsnyder Sep 1st, 2004 06:17 AM

Message: Thit_Cho, I used the term "sloppy" at myself. I am just glad a couple of you pointed out the error so I could correct it.

Liz, the photos were from collection of cameras including 740 Olympus digital, a Minolta 35slr and the daughter's Pentax. We had the 35 prints also on cd for use in presentations. The 740 worked out guite well once I adjusted to the lapse between pressing the release and the actual picture taking. It made photographing active birds quite the challenge. I tried to anticipate placement of the little sunbirds and got several frames of just nice flower pics. At least I could delete frames on the spot.
The leopard in tree is in the lower left hand corner.
As several of you have said nunerous times, "Africa gets in one's blood". We are looking forward to a return.
Most of the rhino we saw were in the Lake Nykuru park and while that was special was not as thrilling as the one we spotted while on a drive in the Masai Mara.
Again, thank all of you for the comments and also for the other posts which make reviewing this board a special part of my day.
Dick