Zambia pictures - Johan - request from Sharon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:59 AM
johan_belgium

Sharon,

I posted some pictures from my safari to Zambia in September 2005. These can be seen by using the following link:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...0&y=i1ybg4

Enjoy,

Johan

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:39 AM
santharamhari

Johan,

Awesome pics.....wow!!! Everything about the kafue pics were fabulous...the roan, sable, lions!!! Makes me want to strongly consider Kafue for next year. Also, loved the leopard pics from tena tena and one outstanding pic of a lion trying to roll over.....can't remember but i think was from South Luangwa.

Thanks for sharing

Hari

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much Johan. I only had time to look at them briefly - I will savor them a bit later. They look fabulous and I really appreciate that you posted them!

Sharon
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:04 AM
johan_belgium

Hari and Sharon,

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Actually the light conditions were quite difficult that time of year.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:43 AM

great pics johan! how would kafue be in late october? would you recommend Shumba or any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Dennis
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
johan_belgium

Dennis,

It will be hot and very very dusty. But I think it's the best time to go because you have less chances to getting stuck in the black cotton soil. Driving is always and quite bumpy.

It's a great place to see roan and sable antelope and lion sightings were of a good quality.

It's also considered as the best place in Zambia to see cheetah although I didn't see any.

I liked it because of its remoteness and harshness but because of that I wouldn't recommend this place to firstimers.

When I visited Shumba it was very basic. There was a common shower and toilet and the the tents were very poor. I could live with it but I know that's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

I think the best thing you can do is to contact Wilderness safaris because they now have 4 camps in Kafue (I think Rocco was the first to announce it on this board). I wonder how prices will be now Wilderness Safaris is running these camps.

A good combination would be Lunga River camp and Busanga bush camp. But be warned the area around Lunga is infected with tse-tse flies and it's a long drive from Lunga to Busanga. But it's the only way to reach the Busanga plains at the moment.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
DJE

johan,

It really is a joy to view your photo albums. You have so many fabulous shots, whether it's the wonderful wildlife you manage to capture or simply great pictures of the local people.

Do you happen to have a specific album of pictures from Namibia, as I would also be interested to see more shots from this region. I have experienced the Sossusvlei area but that's about it for Namibia until our next visit this year.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
santharamhari

Johan,

I can't travel to Africa in Sept 2007, but, is early October a good time for Kafue? Would that combine well with Lower Zambezi or South Luangwa?- if you had to pick one of two?

Or, knowing me.......Kafue and Lebala....just kidding!

Thanks
Hari

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:14 AM
johan_belgium

DJE,

I'll only have digital pictures from the following locations in Namibia:

- Palmwag rhino camp;
- Serra cafema;
- Swakopmund.

I'll be in Namibia for +/- 20 days in August 2006. So after this trip, I will be postin' some pictures.

The photos taken at Palmwag Rhino Camp can be seen in the camp itself from August 2006.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:03 PM

Incredible photo's! Looks like you got to see a lot of wildlife. I'll be in Zambia, Rwanda and Uganda in August/September and after seeing your photo's i'm inspired. Thanks for sharing them!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Magnificent! What a pro. The little cub faces turn me inside out. Thank you John for the inspiration.What are those little red birds called (there was a group of them on a rock)??
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM

Johan, Great photos!

How did you enjoy Robin Pope? We'll be with them in June.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:13 AM
johan_belgium

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments on my pictures.

Carla: those birds are carmine bee-eaters. In September you can see literally thousands of them nesting on the banks of the Luangwa river.

Robert: I only met Robin briefly but I am planning to do a walking safari with him in the next years.

Although Tena Tena covers a very small area, gameviewing was superb. We saw lots of predators in action, a big herd of eland antelope and a pell's fishing owl.

We had still decent gameviewing at Nsefu but it couldn't compete with Tena Tena.

Nsefu was a bit more luxurious than Tena Tena. Food was of good quality in both camps. Guiding was excellent - Ross (Tena Tena) and Kerri (Nsefu) were both very friendly and knowledgeable.

I haven't been to other camps in South Luangwa but when returning I know where to go.

I hope you got a beautiful time in Zambia.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Johan, it would be impossible to pick a favorite out of this series. You have so many awesome images! Congratulations on such a fine collection.

Cindy
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:49 AM

What an enjoyable album - thanks!