Photography in Egypt/Israel

Aug 24th, 2000, 06:14 PM
Jennifer

Photography in Egypt/Israel

I have a SLR camera & would like to know what speed film is recommended for use in Egypt. I am also thinking of investing in a polarising filter, is this necessary?
I'd appreciate any tips.

Ta
Jennifer

Aug 25th, 2000, 03:30 AM
Dick

Jennifer, on our recent trip to the Middle East I had a variety of film from 100-800 asa. Was worried about going through security scanners especially with 800 film. No problem. Often I had all film in clear bag and security people usually would pass it around the scanner. In airport in Paris, I was told the scanner would be no problem up to 1600 asa. Since most of my shots were outdoors the lower asa speeds were fine. In fact, the 200 was probably best as I had two daughters with instamatic or zoom cameras and it made things easier. I did not have a polarizing filter. Didn't seem to notice decline in quality w/o one. But, I did run into problems with some shots with shadows. On a few occassions would have been wise to use flash especially when in close on family member with scenery in background. While I treasure my SLR looking back (now w/photos in hand) I wonder if use of less expensive zoom camera or even the instamatic one would not have been as good for entire trip. But, I also appreciated having the wide angle possibility w/lens on my camera. Hope I was of some help. Dick

Aug 25th, 2000, 07:52 PM
Alice

Jennifer, I would probably suggest that you use 200 speed. I took 400 thinking about all those pictures I would be taking inside without a flash and the photos still came out blurred. The 200 speed will give you a much crisper outside photo, less grainy than the 400. Even the 100 would work well. My best photos were the ones I made outside and I think they could have been improved on if I had used a lower speed.

Aug 26th, 2000, 11:50 PM
Discretion

Warning:

Be very careful of what you take photos of. Never, take a picture of anything that might be connected with the military or anything that looks like it could be connected with national defence.
I'm sure you knew that anyway.

Search this Thread