Photo Gallery - Wild Dogs & More

Dec 9th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Photo Gallery - Wild Dogs & More

Well, I finally got to see Wild Dogs. Unfortunately, for now, I have settled for the Wild Dogs of the San Diego Zoo, but it is a start!

Fortunately, I was promoted to photograph an HBO fight card last night and I was able to get to San Diego before 4PM. The boxing venue was only 1 mile away from the San Diego Zoo so I made a quick visit.

The dogs are in an area where it is not possible to stop and watch them, as the escalator takes you right past them. I was basically on what amounted to a treadmill for 15 minutes in order to take photos of the wild dogs. Although I only saw two wild dogs, I believe there were more in the "termite mound" den. It was overcast and already getting dark, forcing me to shoot on ISO 800, but I did what I could. Here is a little photo album:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/rocco/san_diego_zoo

Here is my photo album from the San Diego Zoo...slightly off topic, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Even more off topic, here are my photos from the HBO fights last night:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/rocco/hbo_latino_boxing
Dec 9th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Thanks Rocco,
As always the dogs are great to look at - hope that temp. gives you a fix. I liked your info. shots and am inter. in the Ankole - have you ever seen one in the wild?
Sherry
Dec 9th, 2005, 05:49 AM

Ankole's are domesticated, and I saw them by the score in Uganda (they are along all the roadsides with their handlers). And, if you can believe it, the horns on some I saw in Uganda were even larger than in the photos.

Rocco, you're cheating -- when will you book your trip to Botswana? They are becoming your "white whale"!
Dec 9th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Thanks thit, domesticated - how so - are they workers like oxen? Shows you how little I know about those bullish looking creatures and many others that I have never seen until looking at others African photos and my books.So much to see.
Sherry
Dec 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Michael,

I will most likely be getting to Botswana in the second half of 2006. Ideally, I would be able to combine a seven night visit at Kwando's camps with North Luangwa and at least Lower Zambezi, if not also South Luangwa, using Victoria Falls as a gateway between Botswana to Zambia.

Search this Thread