Phone cards for calling US from South Africa?

Jan 7th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Phone cards for calling US from South Africa?

I have been lurking on these boards in anticipation of my first trip to Africa in Febrary. I've learned a lot, and enjoyed everyone's input and fabulous trip reports. Thank you!

I am trying to determine how best to call home while I'm in South Africa. When I travel to Europe, I always use my MCI prepaid phone card - cheap, easy, just call the specific country's MCI access number and enter the PIN. I went to the MCI website to get the access number for South Africa, and then called Customer Service to find out the per-minute rate so I could make sure I have adequate minutes on my card.

The Customer Service Rep was not very helpful. While she admitted that there is an access number for South Africa, she said she couldn't find any information about per-minute rates so she couldn't guarantee that my card would work at all. I called Customer Service a second time and got the same answer.

Does anyone else have experience using prepaid calling cards from home while traveling in South Africa? Or can you tell me how available and affordable calling cards are to purchase once I get there? I would love to know per-minute costs if possible, so I can let my daughter know how much we will be able to talk on the phone while I'm gone.

Thank you again, everyone, for your help.

- Jessica
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:35 AM

I'm leaving Jan 28th for Kenya, and have been wondering about calling the states also. If anyone has information on calling from Kenya (or if it is the same as South Africa), I would also appreciate the help. Thanks!
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I had some of the same problems getting info, so I just bought Telkom phone cards in SA. Try - http://www.telkom.co.za/portal/page?...phonecards.jsp for the locations where cards are sold. Sorry, couldn't find rates...

Search this Thread