Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Phinda Reserve -- Photos (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/phinda-reserve-photos-816135/)

PacoAhedo Nov 30th, 2009 10:14 AM

Phinda Reserve -- Photos

Hi all,

This is the link to some of the pictures i took last September during our visit to Phinda Reserve.

http://www.pbase.com/africawild/phinda

We had excellent opportunity to picture Nyala , Red Duiker , Rhinos and Cheetah ... and of course many more subjects.

The open landscape of Phinda makes this a nice place to photograph the wildlife ,you get nice open views with clean backgrounds and you can off road and get close to the animals( only off road for some species).

Paco.

divewop Nov 30th, 2009 10:30 AM

Wonderful photos, Paco! Thanks for sharing!

sallysaab Nov 30th, 2009 10:34 AM

Great photos, thanks.

jczinn Nov 30th, 2009 10:35 AM

Absolutely fabulous set of photos. The cheetahs, and the birds are fantastic. Love your titles as well. You have given me inspiration for processing the 60 GBs I just returned with. I see you use a D300, and I'm guessing the 200-400VR? So sharp...!

sdb2 Nov 30th, 2009 12:28 PM

Nicely Done! Really enjoyed viewing those pics. Steve

atravelynn Nov 30th, 2009 05:29 PM

You captured the Phinda specials of cheetah and nyala beautifully, along with the other outstanding photos.

twaffle Nov 30th, 2009 11:31 PM

Lovely photos again, thanks for sharing them.

cw Dec 1st, 2009 08:39 AM

Your photos are impressive. I enjoyed them all and loved the ones with multiple animal interaction (aren't nyalas wonderful) and found your bird photos fabulous. We were at Phinda about the same time of the year, three years ago, and it seems greener in your photos, but that may be only in your close-ups--the panoramic views look more like I remember.

Thanks.

atravelynn Dec 1st, 2009 04:52 PM

Tell us again how long you were at Phinda. Thanks, Paco.

PacoAhedo Dec 2nd, 2009 05:10 AM

Hi all and thanks for the comments,

Jczin,you are correct,most of the pictures where taken with the 200-400.

Cw,maybe looks greener than reality on my photos??

Lynn,we pass 4 magnificent days at Phinda.We stayed at Forest Lodge which is magical,very very nice place.

We went to Phinda basically because i wanted to have good chances to see cheetah.We did not see many but the the day we had wonderful view of a young female in golden ligth.Our guide,Richard work very hard to find the cheetahs,we where lucky to be by ourselves the first 3 days so we could focus on our priorities.The day we found the young cheetah we started the game drive at 5 in the morning.

We had also good sights of lions and excellent rhino.We did not see elephant during the 4 days.Of couse plenty of Nyala and Red Duiker,impala,zebra,reedbuck, girafe,Warthogs,one Suny and one big Python snake.

The people of Phinda was fantastic,the staff,guides etc...

Today i leave with the family for a long weekend(tomorrow is holiday in Spain) and will be away until Sunday,we are going to Almería,in the south of Spain.

Paco.

spassvogel Dec 3rd, 2009 09:42 AM

Paco
CONGRATS on the picture but particularly in view to the Chettah pics! They are just wonderful! You got the eye colour extremely well!

I am wondering why RICHARD hat to put so much effort into finding Cheetahs as PHINDA is very famous for a huge population........

Thanks for sharing your photographs!

SV ((@))

atravelynn Dec 3rd, 2009 04:10 PM

"I am wondering why RICHARD hat to put so much effort into finding Cheetahs as PHINDA is very famous for a huge population........"

While Phinda is famous for cheetahs, they are not always easy to find in the 55,000 acres. On my trip, I shared a vehicle with a couple who had been there 3 days with no cheetahs and other than a glimpse of one at night, I did not see one until my 4th day there. So that was one week without cheetahs for an excellent guide who was trying to find them. They are still wild animals that show up on their own schedule.

Granted, 3 consecutive mornings I was spent the majority of my time tracking rhino rather than hunting cheetah.

Anybody who wanted to see cheetah should set aside 4 nights at Phinda in my opinion, as Paco did.

More holidays for you, Lucky Paco!