Fly or ferry from Spain to Morocco?

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly or ferry from Spain to Morocco?

My hubby I are planning to go to
Spain/Portugal/Morocco for 3-4 weeks in May-June. Plan is to fly into Madrid, rent a car, head to Portugal, and do a counter-clockwise loop of the southwest.
We'd also like to go to Morocco for I think 5 nights. I'd like to see Marrakesh & Essaouira, still deteriming other locals.

My main question is how to get to Morocco. My competing plans are to (1) do the loop of Spain /Portugal, ending in Madrid, fly into Morocco and back; or (2) on the car journey, stop and take the ferry to Tangier. I'd prefer not to take a car into Morocco, instead we can take the train around there (I am also looking into a guide).

Which one of these sounds like a better idea? Would there be a place to leave a car in Spain at the ferry? Does anyone have an idea which might be less expensive (plane flights for 2 vs extra car rental time)? I am having trouble finding the ferry prices.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM

we used Abdelhamid Idrissi His Email:
[email protected] on our recent day trip to morocco.we experienced That He was a very good tour Guide.tangiertour was probably the best idea we had all trip.He also offer an "Imperial Cities" package for the major cities - Marrakesh, Fez,Rabat,Casablanca.we are American and he spoke good English so we learned a lot about Morrocco and Tangier.he really made our visit to tangier much more enjoyable.his honesty is impecable.he even told me i paid too much for the tour by mistake! he really is a nice tour guide,and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend him to anyone. His Direct Phone:0021268702424
P.JOHNSON
STUDIO CITY, CA. USA
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Don't think you can take a rental car to Morocco. There's sure to be parking in Algeciras. Take the hydrofoil or ferry to Tangiers and then the train 1st class or bus to wherever you want to go.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:54 PM

Its easy to take a hydrofoil ferry from Tarifa, Spain to Tangier - only 45 minutes. I think the ferry was about $45 each one way. Then you can take the overnight train to Marrakech - which is awesome. While you are waiting for your train, hire a guide and walk around Tangier. We only went with backpacks, so if you have regular luggage that may be more difficult.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:25 AM

I would very definitely fly. The ferry ride is not particularly nice, and the sea can be very rough. Also, Tangier itself is nothing to write home about imho. To get to Marrakesh you would then have to take a very long train ride (8 hours? We went to Fez and I think it was 6 hours of no air conditioning), again not particularly pleasant. Not to mention you would have to do it all in reverse assuming you're going back to Spain. It would kill at least 2 days just on travelling.

We did all this when we were students and couldn't afford to fly. As a working adult I would definitely pay more to save time and travel in convenience!

Judy
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Wow. I'm sure you are not serious.

While travelling by 2nd class train in Morocco was not particular pleasant, it was one of the most interesting and beautiful countries I've every visited. The Moorish history and architecture in cities like Fez was amazing beyond words.