Phinda Forest Lodge and Sandibe

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phinda Forest Lodge and Sandibe

Can anyone recommend particular rooms to request at either of these lodges in early September? Is this a good time for game viewing at these lodges?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM
cw

I'll be at Phinda Forest in September as well, so am interested in the replies to your post.

cw
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM

It certainly is a wonderful time at Sandibe. I've been to neighboring Chitabe.

As for Phinda Forest, I'll be there in June 2007 so am interested in the feedback.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

No one has thoughts on this topic?? Please post if you do
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM
cw

Actually after I posted my message, I realized that perhaps the only difference in rooms at Phinda Forest would be their proximity to the dining/bar area. I am more interested in the drives than in the room.

But I would be love to hear about any experiences on the optional side trips beach, flight over St. Lucia, etc. And, are they done in lieu of a game drive, or mid-day?

Thanks for any comments. 4 months+ in the future, and the trip is all I can think about!

cw
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Hi Melissa and Eric,

I rarely request a specific room, though I have this time at Londolozi. But I am also off to Sandibe and Nxabega, and I will not be asking for a specific room as the room in hopefully not my highlight of the trip. I would mention that I was on my honeymoon and you would hope the lodge would choose the best room for you!

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM
cw

Hi Kaye,

Thanks for confirming my sense of the room situation. We are following our stay at Phinda by a couple of nights at Londolozi Founders. We had the choice between Founders and Baterleur, and chose Founders because of its smaller size and the viewing deck.

Where are you staying at Londolozi?

I'll be interested in your report, since Botswana was originally on our itinerary list. (Maybe next time?!)

cw
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Hi cw,

At Londolozi, I will be staying in July at both Founders and Pioneer Camps, 5 nights at each. I will be at Sandibe, Nxageba and Matetsi before I reach Londolozi and I shall post a report on that on my return.

There is always next time!

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 08:44 PM
cw

Kaye,

That sounds like such a wonderful trip. I eagerly look forward to your report upon your return.

Thanks for the information.

Best,
cw
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:41 AM

CW-
I've done a couple of the side trips during my stay at Phinda Vlei in '04.
I did the 'flight of the fish eagle' and I also went horseback riding on the beach.

If I recall correctly, you do a mini game drive en route to the airplane so you get about 1 to 1 & 1/2 hour game drive and then an hour flying over the St. Lucia area. It is a fantastic flight which I highly recommend. One of my favorite memories of Phinda.

I think we did the horseback riding around 10-ish in the morning. It was about an hour's drive to Sodwana Bay and we got to ride for about an hour, which went by way too quickly for me.

If you do the beach picnic-ing or diving, it would be at least a half day event so I imagine it would be in lieu of a game drive.

CC Africa will know the details of each so you can contact them or wait until you get to Phinda and ask the camp manager who will arrange the side trips for you. You can then decide if you'd like to do them.

I think they're well worth it. ;-)

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:25 AM
cw

Thanks divewop. The optional trips look so worthwhile that I'm sure we'll try one or two.

Best,
CW
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone done the cultural tour at Phinda... that's the one we are most interested in.