Petroglyphs in Sth Africa?

Dec 17th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Petroglyphs in Sth Africa?

I saw one suggestion on here for Bushman's Kloof which is about 5 and a half hours north and west from where we're staying (although we haven't ruled it out). Has anyone any suggestions on where to find rock art in S.A. (We'll be 3.5 hours east of Cape Town). Any advice is MUCH appreciated!!! Thanks!
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:40 AM

The mountains of the western Cape have numerous rock art sights. Bushmans kloof is a great starting point as it offers superb hospitality plus a staff that know the sights on the property, there are over 125 unique sights at B/kloof.

The sights that I have visited in the Cederburg are not that accessible to the average tourist: Many are a days hike away requiring some overnight camping and then the caves themselves are not that simple to find and can be a dangerous traverse to reach.

If you are up to it a hike through the groot winterhoek will take you through some sights en route to de hel (Not to be confused with Die Hell) This trip will require permits and pplanning and might be bets done with an outfitter.

Farther up the range beyond the town of citrusdal there are quite a few sight between krom and dwars rivers. from what I can recall the Niewoudts (farmers who practically own the valley between the two) charge a small fee for accessing their land. Of the sights in that area tha paintings at the sstadsaal are the easiest to get to as you can practically drive your car to the cave itself.

Unfortuantely I am not familiar with the sites in the area east of Cape Town, which I would imagine would put you around Swellendam/Arniston/Stilbaai type area? If so I am sure there are in those mountains, but someone else should chime in as I am out of my depth there.
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was looking at Cederberg, but didn't realize where the sites were. Looking at Vaalkloof Nature Reserve also. We're staying in Sanbona where we'll be doing conservation work and will only have weekends available to us. I think there are some there also. I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks!

Search this Thread